Catalina State Park Trail Race
5.3 or 10.3-mile trail race
Sunday, April 2, 2023.
Southern Arizona's Favorite Trail Race! Two distances: 5.3 and 10.6 miles. Your race starts & finishes at the park trailhead and travels the trails of this magnificent park, including the “92 and 48 Stair Climb." 10.6 miler is two loops of the 5.3-mile course. Overall male/female & age group medals for both events, male & female sized short sleeve tech or cotton shirts (your choice!), free Mexican breakfast, free coffee, free race photos, and raffle prizes. For event details, please visit everyoneruns.net
April 2 Catalina State Park 10.6 & 5.3 Mile Trail Run Course Instructions - Please Read Completely!!!
Bib pick-up will take place at Fleet Feet on Tanque Verde from March 27 - 29, 10am-6pm, and then at the Oracle Rd. store only from March 30 - March 31, 10am-6pm, and on April 1 from 10am - 2pm. Also, available race morning from 5:15am to 6:45am. If you have registered after March 26 at noon, your bib will only be available on March 30 - April 1 at Fleet Feet on Oracle or at the race.
10.6 miler start: 7:00 a.m. 5.3 miler start: 7:20 a.m.
Directions to Catalina State Park
From the south: take Oracle Rd six miles north of Ina Rd. and turn right at Catalina State Park. The start line & parking lot are 1.8 miles at the end of the main road.
From the north: take Oracle Rd. south one-half mile south of Tangerine Rd. Turn left into the park. The start line & parking lot are 1.8 miles at the end of the main road.
Park Entry Passes: all participants will be required to purchase a $7.00 parking pass at sign-up or at packet pick-up at Fleet Feet (cash or check only), as we will not be providing shuttle bus service. If you already have a state park pass, there is no need to buy one from us. To move traffic more quickly through the park entry, we ask that you buy the one-day pass from us. Parking will be available in the main lot and on the road shoulders.
Changing Events: this is extremely important. Changing distances must be done by March 31 by emailing the race director at firstname.lastname@example.org Changing events without notifying anyone will cause a huge mess with our ability to provide results. If you do switch distances after the start of the race, your time will not count for overall and age group awards. Please remember that the 10.6 miler is only for runners. You are always welcome to walk the 5.3 miler.
· The start/finish line is in front of the main parking lot, which is at the end of the park’s main road. You’ll start on a very short portion of the main road straight to the entry to the Nature Trail (yes, big hill first!), which you will run/walk clockwise.
· After descending the Nature trail, you will go left onto Canyon Loop, then left to the Romero Pools Trail (clockwise) for a .9 mile out and back (monitors will be there for directions).
· You will next travel left off the Romero Pools Trail and back onto the Canyon Loop, heading west to the Birding Trail loop.
· On the Birding Loop you will travel clockwise for a one-mile loop and then across the wash to the park’s main road.
· 5.3 milers will then turn left to the finish.
· 10.6 milers will go right for your second loop of the entire course starting with the Nature Trail, to Canyon Loop, Romero out and back, then back to Canyon Loop left to Birding Trail, across wash, left to finish.
· You will not get lost, as long as you pay attention to our directional markers and course monitors.
· NEVER run up or down a wash and you’ll be on the course! You will only cross washes, never run up or down. Finally, there will be some areas of traffic on the course. Please do not run or walk 2-3 across and always listen to course monitors for instructions.
Water Stations: all participants should carry their own water. We will have water before the Nature Trail and bottled water prior to the Birding Trail. If you take a bottle, it is your responsibility to carry it throughout the race. No littering please!
Timing: all timing will be done with chip timing. Your chip will be attached to the back of your race bib. If you do not wear your bib you will not receive a time and you will not be eligible to win an overall or age group award. Please remember to wear your bib on the front of your body.
Headsets/Music: If you choose to wear headsets you implicitly agree that you are using it your own risk. It is incredibly important for you to hear others approaching and asking to pass, so please keep the volume at a level that will allow others to hear you. Safety is our #1 concern.
Shirts: participant finisher shirts will be handed out to you before and after the race. Unfortunately, we cannot change sizes at the finish. This will ensure that everyone gets what they ordered. You are welcome to ask when the race is complete.
Post-race food, drink: when you hit the finish-line grab yourself a free bottle of water and enjoy our always free Mexican breakfast courtesy of Everyone Runs (for paid participants only). We will never close the course. Food, drink, and friendly faces will await you no matter when you finish!
Awards: Our awards ceremony will start as each event concludes.
· Overall and age group awards will be for male and female overall 1st, 2nd & 3rd and in five-year male and female age groups.
· Exact age groups for both events, specifically for ages 19 and younger and 80+, will be determined based on the number of runners in those age groups and will be decided fairly and at our discretion.
Race results will be posted no later than 1:00 p.m. atwww.everyoneruns.net.
For fast viewing of your finish time, simply enable participant tracking when you enter on Run Sign Up and you will have your result sent immediately to your phone!
Thanks so much for choosing to run/walk with Everyone Runs, Everyone Walks! We appreciate your support.