By Ed Griffin
The beautiful weather on Sunday could not have come too soon. Now begins the annual job of winter repair which will see us cleaning yards, washing cars, and general sprucing up. For many, it also means kicking up our fitness game.
As you start down the fitness path, take a minute to review these pointers:
- Obey the speed limit. What I mean is, don’t increase running and walking outside to five days a week if you have only been getting out once or twice a week. Your body needs to adapt to the increased shock absorption if you are using a road, street or concrete surface. Try every other day and adjust from there.
- Time is on your side. It is only April; rushing and doing too much can increase your odds of injury and set you back and put you on the sidelines. If your walk or run is currently 20-30 minutes, continue doing that and try increasing your total weekly time by 10%.
- Check your surface. If you have been utilizing a treadmill or indoor track over the winter, decrease the amount of time you run or walk on the road by 10-15% to readjust for shock absorption.
- Check the tires. Spring is a great time to check your running or walking shoes. If there are holes, soft spots or just a lack of cushioning, they may need to be replaced. If you bring your shoes to Fleet Feet, our Outfitters can give you a professional assessment. Sometimes shoes are in good shape and just need a new insole, other times….well let’s just say we have seen it all.
- All Models are not the same. If you have been wearing one brand and model for years, it can be a mistake to just get a new pair of that model. Shoe models, like cars, change each year and there is a good chance your shoe may fit or feel different. Definitely try out old faithful but compare it to other models and ask our Outfitters how any model has changed from the previous one.
We hope you have a great spring and we will see you out there!
Ed Griffin and his wife Ellen own Fleet Feet Syracuse, which they founded in May of 2000. Fleet Feet Syracuse has received National Recognition as a Top 50 Running Store in America 12 years in a row and was named Best Running Store in America in 2012. Ed enjoys helping the team at Fleet Feet and our customers achieve their fitness and professional goals. In his spare time, Ed speaks to companies and organizations on a variety of topics, walks his dogs, enjoys good music and is the family chef. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.