By Ed Griffin
Last year’s Syracuse Half Marathon was so unique, it made national news. A whiteout snowstorm hit an hour before the race began, creating conditions that would make Jimmy Stewart’s snowy run in “It’s a Wonderful Life” look tropical. Hopefully Mother Nature is kind to all of the participants, volunteers and organizers this year.
If you are participating in the Syracuse Half Marathon, here are five tips to make the event a success for you.
1) Pick up your race packet and number at the Race Expo on Thursday, Friday or Saturday at Fleet Feet Sports in DeWitt. This will allow you get to the Oncenter on race day and concentrate on pre-race hydration and bathroom duties. Don’t forget, each runner is encouraged to pick up his or her own packet. A copy of a photo ID and a signed note will be required for anyone not present.
2) On race day, get to the Oncenter early. We open the doors at 6 a.m. and the race is starting earlier this year at 7:45 a.m. Early birds can avoid the bulk of the traffic and find parking easier. It is highly suggested that you arrive no later than 6:45 AM.
3) Be advised that the Syracuse Half Marathon has the entire Oncenter this year due to the growth of the race. This year bag check, registration, changing rooms and additional bathrooms will be located downstairs near the lower ballroom. There will still be bathrooms in ballrooms A and B and lots of portable bathrooms outside. Don’t wait until the last minute to use the bathrooms because the race will start promptly at 7:45 a.m
4) In the starting grid, line up in the pace group you plan on running the race in. A half marathon is a long way and can seem even longer if you start the race too fast and tire out. Use the energy stops along the way and be sure to share your experiences by tagging #syrhalf and #3run5.
5) The post-race party will feature hot and cold foods, Byrne Dairy chocolate milk, Ommegang and Michelob Ultra beer (with photo ID) and The Custom Taylor Band in ballrooms A and B and a disc jockey in the downstairs ballroom. Food and beverages will be located in both the upstairs and downstairs ballrooms.
Have a great time at the Syracuse Half Marathon, the fastest growing race in Central New York!