PayBack is extremely disappointed to announce that, due to flooding, the SpeRUNking Sand Mine Challenge will not occur July 22, 2017 at the Crystal City Cave. This fundraiser is vital to PayBack’s mission of restorative justice, holding youth accountable, providing restitution to victims, and repairing the community.
PayBack remains hopeful that the cave will be restored and that we can tentatively schedule a February 2018 Sandmine Challenge. Stay tuned for the latest information on our Facebook page. Payback truly appreciates your loyalty to the Sandmine Challenge and to our cause. We look forward to working with you and welcoming you to the Sandmine Challenge in 2018!
It's back!!! Come run around underground again! After the devastating flooding in 2015, the cave is finally ready for the challenge. If you're looking or a new running adventure, then the SpeRUNking Sandmine Challenge is the event for you. The 3-mile(ish) course with natural obstacles is entirely within the 56 degree Crystal City sand mine, which has 30 to 40 foot ceilings, sand dunes, and a huge underground lake. The course is on a sand surface; some wet, some dry. You will crawl, climb, wade, balance, and jump through various obstacles. We strongly suggest a headlamp for the race and shoes that can get wet! This approximate 3 mile run will be like no other event you've ever done. SpeRUNking Sandmine Challenge has been featured in CNN's Top 10 U.S. Adventures and the front page of the Wall Street Journal. Participants can choose between two race distances; the "Original" Sandmine Challenge or for those into EXTREME Quad Challenge. The "Extreme Quad". Quad runners will complete four laps on the same course as the original ~3 mile course, equaling ~12 miles.
Proceeds from the event benefit the charity PayBack, Inc. PayBack, Inc. is a local nonprofit 501 C(3) organization who works in partnership with Metropolitan St. Louis Area Family Courts to help children, their families, and our community break the cycle of juvenile delinquency. Our goal is to fund and administer restorative justice programs for juvenile offenders and victims by raising restitution funds, locating job sites, and restoring the juvenile sense of self through personal accountability, community service, and job skills.
Date | 2018 date coming soon!
Location | Crystal City Underground, 700 Crystal City Avenue, Crystal City, MO 63019
- 7:00am | Parking, Race day Packet Pick-up, Registration, Gear check open
- 9:00am & 9:00am | Extreme Quad Heats
- 9:10-11:00am | 3 Mile Course Heats
- 10:00am | Post-race Party begins
- 11:30pm | Awards
New this year participants can choose their swag option, or choose both! Extreme Quad participants will automatically receive both swag items. The 3 Mile participants can choose between a custom technical hat by BOCO or Bella + Canvas unisex short sleeve jersey tee. Participants who are interested in both items have the option to purchase the hat for an additional $20 when registering. Register by July 10th to guarantee your shirt size.
- Boco Hat: Custom Technical Trucker hat by BOCO Gear. Hat features performance woven material on the front panel, BOCO wicking performance mesh internal sweatband, structured front panels, mesh side and back panels, adjustable plastic snap back closure, curved bill. One size fits most. BOCO Hats are limited, first-come, first-serve when registering. There is a $2.00 added fee for this swag item. Additional hats can be purchased through registration for $20.
- Jersey Tee: Custom unisex tee is 52/48 combed and ringspun cotton/polyester jersey giving the shirt an ultra soft feel. It features a heather clay color. Available sizes are XS to 2XL. Those who register by July 10th will be guaranteed a race shirt in their size. Shirt sizes are first-come, first-served for those who register after July 10th.
You must be at least 14 years old on race day to participate. Click here to register!
- $50 | 3M course | through May 25
- $60 | 3M course | May 26-July 9
- $70 | 3M course | July 10-July 20
- $80 | 3M course | July 21-Race Day
- $85 | Extreme Quad | through May 25
- $90 | Extreme Quad | May 26-July 9
- $100 | Extreme Quad | July 10-July 20
- $110 | Extreme Quad | July 21-Race Day
- 7/21 | 10:00am - 8:00pm | Fleet Feet Sports | Des Peres
- 7/22 | Begins at 7:00am | Race site
Finisher Medals & Awards
Finisher will receive a custom even medal feature the SpeRUNking Sandmine logo. Plaques will be awarded in the 3 Mile challenge, awards will be given to the top three men and women overall and the top 3 men and women in the following age categories: 14-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60 & over. Plaques for the Extreme Quad will be awarded to the top 3 men and women overall.
More information coming soon!
Many volunteers are needed to help make this event a success. Volunteers will receive a custom event shirt, access to the post-race party and a gift card to Fleet Feet Sports - St. Louis. If interested in volunteering please email Jules (email@example.com) for more information.
- A complete list of race rules is available on the rules page of the event website.
- Since the mine is well protected from the weather, the race can be held in just about any conditions. The race directors do, however, reserve the right to cancel the event if they deem the weather too extreme or dangerous for travel. No refunds will be provided in case of cancellation.
Proceeds from SpeRUNking Sandmine Challenge benefit the charity PayBack, Inc. PayBack, Inc. is a local nonprofit 501 C(3) organization housed in the St. Louis City Family Courts building in an office generously donated by the Courts. Sustained through the generous donations of private individuals, businesses, grants and fund-raising events, PayBack works with an operating budget of just over $100,000, 15 volunteer Board Members, and 1 paid Administrative Assistant. PayBack works in partnership with Metropolitan St. Louis Area Family Courts to help children, their families and our community, break the cycle of juvenile delinquency. Our goal is to fund and administer restorative justice programs for juvenile offenders and victims by raising restitution funds, locating job sites, and restoring the juvenile sense of self through personal accountability, community service and job skills. Payback is celebrating serving the community for over 30 years and happily reports that more than 70% of the juveniles who participate in their program never return to the Family Courts as re-offenders. In addition, more than half a million dollars have been returned to metro area crime victims by youth in the PayBack program.