Athletes of all levels regularly experience muscle soreness in the calves, thighs, and hips. Participants in our 60-minute Foam Rolling workshop learn how to use the simple but versatile foam roller to soften, stretch, and re-align the muscles in these areas in order to relieve tension, promote recovery, and prepare the body for additional training.
Benefits of foam rolling:
- Improves circulation throughout the skin, fascia, and muscles. Through improved blood circulation, a more efficient exchange of nutrients and waste products occurs at the cellular level to improve recovery.
- Lengthens short (tight) muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Some muscles (i.e. hip flexors) and tendons/ligaments (i.e. iliotibial band) are prone to shortening and are difficult to effectively stretch and apply therapeutic pressure. But with a foam roller, you can apply deep pressure massage to such areas and lengthen shortened tissues, thereby preventing physical imbalances that can predispose you to injury.
- Improves mobility and range of motion. Studies by the National Strength and Conditioning Association report knee joint range of motion (ROM) increases of 12.7% and 10.3% at two and 10 minutes, respectively, following two one-minute bouts of foam rolling of the quadriceps.
- Increases training efficiency. A study published in 2013 in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise reported reduced muscle soreness one, two, and three days after an intense workout increasing training efficiency.
- "I had never used the roller before and wondered how much I might benefit from taking This Is How We Roll. I highly recommend it for all runners (experienced or beginner). You will definitely benefit! A lot more knowledge than I expected! " – LL
- "A class that 'hurts so good' rolls away the tight, stiff, achy muscles. Those aches are not just 'old age.'" – DR
- "What a difference a class makes. I've owned a foam roller but never knew how to use it, until now. Thanks Fleet Feet!" – HD
The cost for each workshop is $15.
Even more motivation to roll: