REGISTRATION WILL OPEN IN JANUARY 2021
The 4th annual Bootlegger 10K trail race will be held on Sunday, February 21st, on upper Creve Coeur Park's Bootlegger's Run trail, which gets its name from the area's notorious reputation during Prohibition. According to one account, "Prohibition brought gamblers and gangsters back and clubhouses, roadhouses, and the notorious Creve Coeur Hotel provided havens for crime.” Another history offers, "Around the 1920's the area began to decline in popularity as gangsters and hoodlums began to frequent the saloons, restaurants, and nightclubs located at the lakefront. By the end of Prohibition, Creve Coeur was almost exclusively a gangster hideout." Today, Creve Coeur Park has regained its pre-Prohibition notoriety as a beautiful locale for enjoying nature. It is regularly filled with St. Louisans running or biking the trails, riding zip lines at Go Ape, sailing or rowing on the lake, or simply having a picnic.
Certain aspects of this year's race will be a little different as we embrace the standards set forth by our federal and local governments, St. Louis County Parks and Health Departments. However, the spirit of our events will remain the same, a celebration of trail running through the beautiful Creve Couer Park. More details about COVID-19 safety guidelines can be found below (scroll down to event policies & FAQ).
The beautiful Bootlegger 10K course is primarily single-track trail and includes plenty of turns, switchbacks, and hills. Look closely and you may see remnants of the Creve Coeur Lake streetcar line that brought ne'er-do-wells to the area during Prohibition. Add winter weather to that mix and the Bootlegger 10K will surely test your will against Mother Nature at her toughest.
Keep it lawful on the trails and you won’t have to smuggle out your one-of-a-kind finisher stainless steel barrel mugs!
Date | Sunday, February 21, 2021
- 7:30am | VIP & Free Parking Area's open
- 7:45am | Race day registration and packet pickup opens
- 8:30am | 10K race waves begins
Location | Creve Coeur Park, 13219 Streetcar Dr, Maryland Heights, MO 63043
Finisher Items | Finishers will receive custom finisher item. Details coming soon about this year's item.
Course | The course is well planned with a 1.5-mile parade loop on Streetcar Drive to “naturally” sort the field by pace prior to entering the trail. Runners will complete a full loop counterclockwise and then return to the start/finish line at the old streetcar ‘loop’ building. This course also has about six great spectator locations within a quarter-mile walk – if your loved ones would like to see you suffer. Participants should be able to keep a pace of ~21 mins per mile.
Registration & Fees - Registration will open in Jan. 2021
To avoid overcrowding on the trail, registration is limited to the first 400 entrants. Click here to register.
- $48 | through 2/1
- $52 | 2/2 - 2/20
- $5 | VIP Parking
- Limited VIP parking is available to participants in the upper parking lot near the pre/post-race area. Proceeds from parking will benefit a local charity group. Participants who do not purchase VIP parking will park in the lower lots off Marine Ave and have a 1/2 mile walk to the pre/post-race area.
- 2/20 | 11:00am - 5:00pm | Six Mile Bridge Beer -
- 2/21 | beginning at 7:45am | Race Site
If you are coming from out of town and cannot pick up your packet until race morning, please download and carefully read the Race Instructions (coming soon) before race morning. Your race number will be waiting for you at the race start.
- Parking Map - Coming soon
- VIP Parking | Purchase VIP parking for $5 and help support Washington University Women's Ultimate. VIP parking will be located in the upper parking lots off Streetcar Dr near the pre/post-race areas.
- Free Parking | Is available in the lower lots at Creve Coeur Park off Marine Ave. These lots may have up to 1/2 mile walk including stairs to access pre/post-race area in the upper portion of the park.
Awards will be awarded to the top three male/female overall finishers and the top three male/female in the following age groups: 13 & under, 14-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.
EVENT POLICIES & FAQ:
- How do I register? Click here to register. There is no race day registration. Registration closes when the event fills or closes on 2.18.2021
- Are face coverings required? Yes, when not racing, all athletes, volunteers, spectators, and staff will be expected to wear face coverings. Face covers are required during warm-up and cooldowns when social distancing is not possible or whenever appropriate. Face coverings must be worn at packet pick-up.
- No-Risk Registration - We understand these are uncertain times. Our intention is to host an in-person event. However, should the health situation change and we are unable to host the event, all runners will be able to defer to 2021 or run the event virtually. If the event is canceled prior to February 1, 2021, participants will have the option to choose between a refund, deferral, or to run the event virtually. Registration is only available online. In-person registration is not available at packet pick-up or race day.
- Will there be on course Aid Stations? Yes, there will be on-course aid stations BUT with minimal supplies and support. We highly encourage and recommend participants carry all hydrations and nutritional needs in their running pack.
- Will there be on-course support? Yes, we will have course marshals and traffic control on course. EMS will be available at the finish line.
- Are dogs allowed at the event or allowed to participate? We love dogs, but dogs are not allowed at this event or allowed to participate in the race.
- Inclement Weather Policy: The safety of our participants and volunteers is our highest priority. If severe weather is present, we will post an update on the Facebook Event Page and at the top of this page by 6:00 am the morning of the event at the latest.
- Health Survey: All participants will be required to complete an online health survey prior to participation and be negative for symptoms of COVID-19 in order to participate. The survey will be emailed out prior to the event.
- Refund Policy - No refunds will be given after February 1, 2021. Processing fees are non-refundable. Entries are not transferable to another event but can be transferred to another participant. Transferring registration is allowed through February 15, 2021. A $3 processing fee will be applied to all refunds and transfers.
- What if I have a positive COVID-19 test or show symptoms of COVID-19? If you have a positive COVID-19 test or are showing symptoms (click here for a full list of symptoms) we ask that you do not attend the event. Participants who fall into this category will be offered the following options; defer to the 2021 event, or participate virtually after their quarantine period. We will also offer the following refund option. If the request is received before February 1, 2021, the participant can receive a full refund minus the transaction fees, if, after February 1, 2021, participants with a positive COVID-19 test can receive a 50% refund.
- COVID-19 Status: Our intention is to be able to hold this event in person. We are working on plans to take all necessary precautions to make this a safe event during the COVID-19 situation based on the latest/greatest guidelines as the event approaches. As we finalize those plans and precautions and have them in place, we will include them in race communications closer to the race date. Participant safety is our number one concern, so if it is deemed unsafe to have an in-person event, the race will be switched to an all-virtual event. Should we have to hold the event virtually, we will automatically switch all participants to the virtual event and send details on how to obtain your race swag and submit your virtual times. If you do not want to participate in the virtual event, you can defer your entry to our 2021 event. We will contact all participants in the event that it goes virtual with further instructions.
Please review the Race Instructions or email Jules.