8K FINISH EXTENDED TRAINING
*Official Local Training for Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8K*
FALL 2019 8K EXTENDED TRAINING
Start Date: Monday, August 5th
End Date: Saturday, November 16th
Goal Race: Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8K and Richmond 8K
Training Length: 15 weeks
Orientation: Sunday, July 28th 5:15PM at Fleet Feet
TEST-DRIVE FOR FREE! Come test-drive the first week of workouts for free. Look for the Fleet Feet tent and check in with Coach Leslie. She'll help you find the right pace group and introduce you to mentors.
- Thursday 8/8 - 6pm at Wasena Park (1113 Winchester Ave) - near the Vic Thomas bridge
- Saturday 8/10 - 7:30am at Washington Park (1610 Burrell St)
Cost of 8K Extended Training is $110 and that includes 15 weeks of workouts (two times a week). Registration for Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8K and Richmond 8K are not included in the cost for training. The 8K Extended program is for anyone who wants to continue training for the Richmond 8K after they complete Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8K.
We are donating half of your registration fee to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Southwest Virginia. The Boys and Girls Clubs of SWVA is a regional, non-profit agency that serves youth through after school and summer programs, primarily focusing on serving disadvantaged youth. They served over 850 Club members between Roanoke City, Franklin County, and Montgomery County in 2019.
JOIN ROANOKE'S PREMIUM TRAINING FAMILY!
Our Training Groups are awesome! We take extreme pride in helping others reach their goals through fun, organized, and supportive training groups. Over the last 11 years we have successfully trained thousands of people to achieve their personal fitness goals. We believe we have the best mentors and resources around to help you reach your personal training goals.
When you train with Fleet Feet Running Club you become part of our family and you're looked after by people who are truly invested in your success, safety and enjoyment. Our approach to training is special to us and we think you'll appreciate it too. We’d love to have you join our Fleet Feet family!
JOIN THE CLUB! Sign up for the Fleet Feet Running Club (year-long membership!) and get 20% OFF any and all training programs in 2019 among many other perks! Membership cost is only $15 for the remainder of 2019.
FLEET FEET TRAINING PERKS:
- Fleet Feet coupon book for the training program season
- Core and strength training (optional) after Thursday Speed workouts
- Mentors and friends to motivate and encourage you to reach your goals at every single workout
- Fleet Feet Training Program Shirt to rep at goal race
- Weekly Newsletters with training plans, training tips and resources, notes from the coach, upcoming events and more.
- MOST IMPORTANTLYbeing in a group where you will be known by name, treated like family and looked after by people who are truly invested in your success and happiness. We're your new training family!
- Private Facebook group for all Fall 2019 Training Program Participants
- Post-Season Party to celebrate your awesome accomplishments and see your training buddies in something other than running clothes!
- Discount on race registration for Virginia's Blue Ridge 8K
WHO IS 8K TRAINING FOR?
Anyone who is already able to walk and/or run at a 5k and wants to get ready for an 8K. The 15-week 8K Extended Training Program starts at 3.5 miles (so you must be able to already walk/run 3.5 miles comfortably) and builds up to an 8K (4.97 miles). We have multiple pace groups for the 8K Training program, including walk, run/walk and run. We do require that all 8K Training participants be 18 or older.
The 8K Extended program is for anyone who wants to continue training for the Richmond 8K after they complete Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8K.
WHEN AND WHERE DO WORKOUTS TAKE PLACE?
8K Training meets twice a week on Thursday and Saturday:
- Thursday evening group workouts start at 6PM at Wasena Park on the Greenway (1113 Winchester Ave). Thursday night workouts have a speed/hill/core workout option for those runners looking to increase their speed and strength.
- Saturday morning workouts are a group run/walk starting at 7:30AM at Fallon Park (2116 Dale Ave).
TEST-DRIVE THE FIRST WEEK FOR FREE:
Anyone is welcome to TEST DRIVE an 8K Training workout for FREE the first week of the session before signing up. Please check-in at the Fleet Feet tent when you arrive to fill out a waiver and find your pace group.
WHEN IS ORIENTATION?
Orientation will take place on Sunday, July 28th at 5:15pm at Fleet Feet Roanoke, located at 4347 Franklin Rd, Roanoke VA 24018. Come out to learn more about the program, meet the mentors and the coach, hear testimonials from past participants, and get all of your questions answered!
CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE 8K PACE GROUPS?
There are multiple running pace groups for 8K Training:
- Walking – Walkers will walk the entire training program.
- Interval Running (Run/Walk) – Interval Running includes run/walk intervals – run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute.
- Running – Running the entire time with no breaks.
- 10-11 minute pace group
- 11-12 minute pace group
- 12-13 minute pace group
Here's the great thing: if you start with one group and decide you want more of a challenge or need to back down, you can change groups! Make sure to talk with Coach Leslie and your mentors for advice! Walkers can move to intervals, runners can move to intervals, intervals can move to walking, etc.
Your safety is our number one priority. With your safety in mind, we have created the below rules and requirements by which all Fleet Feet Running Club participants and mentors must abide.
- All Fleet Feet training participants must have identification with emergency contact information on them at all workouts.
- Headphones are NOT allowed at workouts.
- Participants must have reflective gear and lights when warranted (most of the Fall training season!)
- Participants must have a hydration system with them during all workouts.
- Participants must stay with a Fleet Feet Training Mentor at all times.
- No strollers at workouts and no children under the age of 18.
- No animals at workouts.
DO WE DO ANY RACES?
The goal race for the Fall Extended session is Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8K and the Richmond 8K. The registration fee for Virginia’s Blue Ridge 8K race fee is NOT included in the 8K Training registration cost.
WHAT DOES THE COST OF 8K TRAINING GO TOWARDS?
50% of the cost will go to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Southwest Virginia. The Boys and Girls Clubs of SWVA is a regional, non-profit agency that serves youth through after school and summer programs, primarily focusing on serving disadvantaged youth. They served over 850 Club members between Roanoke City, Franklin County, and Montgomery County in 2019. The remainder of the registration fees goes towards coaching staff, equipment, insurance, and part of the registration goes back to the City of Roanoke to help maintain the Greenways and facilities that we use.
Questions? Contact Coach Leslie!