JOIN OUR FLEET FEET ROANOKE MENTOR TEAM
Mentors play an important role in ensuring a great experience for our training program participants. Do you have what it takes to be a Fleet Feet Mentor? We are currently looking for run, run/walk, and walk mentors for our Spring 2020 No Boundaries, 5K Finish, 10K, 13.1 and 26.2 Training.
The Fleet Feet Mentor Team is a passionate group of walk and run mentors who help people reach their goals of walking and running.
WHAT IS A MENTOR?
A mentor is an invaluable resource to our training program participants and an ambassador of Fleet Feet Roanoke. Mentors attend every group workout throughout a training program to provide support. Their main responsibilities include:
- Offering positive energy and a positive attitude to the group
- Promoting safety and providing support during workouts
- Keeping an assigned approximate pace or interval while walking or running
- Running alongside participants and making sure everyone is accounted for
- Educating participants about the benefits, products and solutions that Fleet Feet offers
- Calling on their past personal experiences to provide knowledge, advice, and general tips when it comes to training and living healthy
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?
- Attend 90% of the workouts (NoBo/5K = 27 out of 30, 10K/Half Marathon = 22 out of 24, Marathon = 25 out of28). If you are going to miss a workout, you must notify the Fleet Feet Running Club Coach ASAP.
- Wear Fleet Feet branded apparel at all Fleet Feet events, including group workouts and goal races.
- Arrive no later than 5:45pm for Thursday group workouts. A mandatory mentor meeting will take place at 5:45pm. After the mentor meeting, mentors are expected to set the example and must mingle with participants.
- Come to workouts knowing the route and work-out details. These details will be emailed to mentors at the beginning of each week during training.
- Lead participants through stretching exercises before and after each workout
- Wear shoes from Fleet Feet at all workouts
- Attend the Mentor Team Orientation (January 9 at 7:15pm) at Fleet Feet and the Training Kick Off for the corresponding training program
- Carry a cell phone at all workouts in case of emergency
- Carry a hydration system at all workouts
- Have IDENTIFICATION on you at all workouts in case of emergency
- Each person in the mentor's group should feel like they have received some coaching/attention from you at each workout. Participants are required to stay with mentors during the workouts. Mentors must make sure participants are abiding by this rule.
- Will gently enforce various “rules” – i.e. Greenway etiquette
- Will not conduct their own workout during a group workout session
WHAT DISTANCES CAN I MENTOR FOR?
- No Boundaries 5K (starts week of January 13)
- 5K Finish (starts week of January 13)
- 10K (starts week of January 27)
- Half Marathon (starts week of January 27)
- Marathon (starts week of January 13)
- Warm fuzzy feeling from knowing that you made a difference in someone's running and/or walking. Our programs change lives.
- New friends and family.
- Free entry into the training program you are mentoring and discounted entry into the training goal race.
- You will be rewarded with exclusive Fleet Feet Mentor gear and products from the training program sponsor and our vendor partners - stay tuned!
- Private Training Facebook group where you can connect with your training participants
- Weekly emails from the Fleet Feet Running Club Manager
- End of Season Training Party!
Still interested? Apply below! Email Coach Leslie with questions.