Hello, warm Summer weather! Running is getting steamy, but I’ll tell you what I’ve enjoyed most so far is the pool! Yes, that kind of barefooting! I started swimming about 12 weeks ago, and let me just say that it was NOT pretty! My friend, Maria, that I’ve been swimming with actually sent me a YouTube video of a little windup dolphin in a sink after our first morning of swimming. That’s pretty much what I felt like. Or maybe imagine a seal that is trying to swim with his fins instead of gliding through the water. And totally not offended. I died laughing. You can only imagine the look on the face of one of my running partners when I told him I couldn’t swim the next morning because my feet hurt from swimming. Yes, it was that bad.
BUT!! I’ve come a long way. If I didn’t have so much hair and have to schedule my swims around my hair washing schedule, then I’d probably swim 5 days a week!
And THEN all of a sudden I’m like how in the world do I write about swimming?! What do I know about swimming? A lot of nothing, really. As far as I know, where I’m from no one took swimming lessons. So I basically just watched everyone else swim and mimicked their techniques. After several YouTube videos and a few tips from Maria and another friend who used to be a swim coach, I think I’ve mostly got it down pat. So don’t worry, no under-researched or under-experienced lessons here! But, please let me pat myself on the back. I can now do my entire swim without stopping in the middle and can swim about 200 yards farther in 10 less minutes! For someone who bought a suit and swim cap and left it in the bag for 14 months, that’s a pretty big deal! But then again, it’s a good thing Maria is such a good swimmer because this little fish would probably be floatin’ belly side up!
So, what I’ve learned from swimming:
- Blow your nose before getting in the pool
- Use the restroom at least twice before getting in the pool
- Other than your belly pooching out a bit, you can eat a real breakfast just minutes before the swim! My favorite part :)
- They apparently make goggles based on the width of your eyes, and apparently mine are far apart :|
- Don’t flick your feet/ankles
- It does not burn as many calories as running, making swimming not real conducive to a smaller waist. But whatever–think of it as a supplement to your workout routine!
- It’s made me run faster
- I’ve only had faster race times since swimming
- There’s little muscles in my back :)
- I now contemplate a haircut every single day
But after watching this video again, I think I was more of the turtle!