This winter Fleet Feet will build you into a WARRIOR! The purpose of this program is to help you stay accountable over the winter months and to kick-start the new year off right! This program is designed for various levels – walk/runners and runners are welcome. Weekend run/walks are coordinated on time rather than distance to accommodate various ability levels.
In addition to our group runs/walks outdoors, the program will incorporate circuit-style strength training workouts that will be completed indoors following the run. To quantify progress, participants will complete a circuit at the start and end of the program. While there will be no “official goal race” you could do the Valentine's 5K in February or Shamrock Shuffle 5K/10K in March!
Why Should I Run Outside in the Winter?
- Prevent SAD: When the days get shorter and the temperature plummets, many people suffer from Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD). Even if you aren’t affected by SAD, it’s easy to get the winter blues. Running helps release powerful hormones that help combat this depression, increasing positive mood states during the cold weather months.
- You'll strengthen your heart: Cold weather also makes your heart work differently as it distributes blood throughout the body for temperature regulation. This prepares the body for more strenuous workouts in the future - not to mention other non-exercise stresses in life.
- You'll remember the importance of warm-up and cool-down routines: Proper warm-up and cool-down movements are crucial to keeping the body in top fitness shape, but they become even more important when it's cold outside. Keeping the body loose, limber and warm for a chilly workout can help prevent painful twists, sprains, tears, and other injuries.
- It keeps off the winter bulge: You don't have to let the colder months force you into hibernation. Winter running will challenge you, keep you motivated, and help you burn off the extra calories from the holidays!
Add some new items to your holiday wish list: running gloves, wool socks, and a neck gaiter (to name just a few) and join us outdoors to take on the challenge of winter!
Choose a group that best fits current fitness level and focus:
- Walk/Run: Goal is to become better at running for longer durations and get the heart rate up utilizing run/walk intervals, and/or aid in training for a future goal race. You may decide to switch to run group as you progress.
- Run: Goal is to stay consistent with winter running, run for longer durations, run at higher intensities, and/or aid in training for a future goal race.
*Base Fitness Recommendations: Beginner to advanced runners and walkers. Should be able to accomplish a minimum of 30 minutes of run/walk intervals or running activity prior to the start of this program.
Group Runs: Coached and supported group runs on Sunday mornings @ 8:00am at either Fleet Feet location (Sun Prairie or Madison). Indoor circuit workouts will consist of 30 minutes of group strength/core following each outdoor run/walk. Expect to spend about 1 - 1 1/2 hours with us each Sunday morning.
- Fleet Feet Sun Prairie: 2828 Prairie Lakes Drive (EAST)
- Fleet Feet Madison: 8440 Old Sauk Rd (WEST)
Other Group Run Options: We strongly encourage you to also take part in our mid-week group runs:
- Wednesday Fun Runs (6:00pm both Fleet Feet locations)
- Thursday Pub Runs (6:00pm Madison, 6:15pm Sun Prairie)
- Click Here for Fun Run schedules
Program Perks to help you reach Warrior Status:
- Winter training coupon book to help you gear up to brave the elements
- 7-week training plan with running and strength workouts
- Weekly training emails from your coaches to keep you accountable and focused
- Coached and supported runs/walks on Sunday morning with guided strength workouts
- Optional Fun Runs mid-week.
- Camaraderie and support to get outside this winter and stay active!
- Special wear test events and the opportunity to win attendance prizes