2019 Winter Warriors
This winter Fleet Feet will build you into a WARRIOR! The purpose of this program is to help you stay accountable over the winter months and to help kick off the new year on the right foot! This is a program for everyone – all walkers and runners are welcome! Weekend runs are coordinated on time rather than distance and accommodate all levels. In addition to our group runs, the program will incorporate circuit-style strength training workouts that will be completed following the run. To measure improvements, we will complete a circuit at the start and end of the program. While there will be no “official goal race” you could do the Valentine's 5K on February 9th or you can plan on participating in the Shamrock Shuffle 5K/10K in March!
Winter Warrior Demo Workouts: Come try a winter warrior workout before we kick things off in January! These are free and open to all interested participants! Workouts will combine some outside running/walking and indoor workouts - plan accordingly with your apparel choices. We recommend bringing some dry clothes or lighter layers to change into for the indoor workout portion.
- Saturday, December 8 @ 8am - Fleet Feet Madison
- Sunday, December 9 @ 9am - Fleet Feet Sun Prairie
- Saturday, December 15 @ 8am - Fleet Feet Sun Prairie
- Sunday, December 16 @ 9am - Fleet Feet Madison
Why Should I Run Outside in the Winter?
- Prevent SAD: When the days get shorter and the temperature plummets, many people suffer from Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD). Even if you aren’t affected by SAD, it’s easy to get the winter blues. Running helps release powerful hormones that help combat this depression, increasing positive mood states during the cold weather months.
- You'll strengthen your heart: Cold weather also makes your heart work differently as your body distributes blood throughout the body for temperature regulation. This prepares the body for more strenuous workouts in the future -- not to mention other non-exercise stresses in life.
- You'll remember the importance of warm-up and cool-down routines: Proper warm-up and cool-down movements are crucial to keeping the body in top fitness shape, but they become even more important when it's cold outside. Keeping the body loose, limber and warm for a chilly workout can help prevent painful twists, sprains, tears, and other injuries.
- It keeps off the winter bulge: You don't have to let the colder months force you into hibernation. Winter running will challenge you, keep you motivated, and help you burn off the extra calories from the holidays!
Add some new items to your holiday wish list: running gloves, wool socks, and a neck gaiter (to name just a few) and join us outdoors to take on the challenge of winter!
Program Duration: January 6, 2019 – February 17, 2019 | Fitvil Online Registration Closed
Program Cost: Early Bird $65 (until Dec. 16, 2018), Regular Rate $75 (Dec. 17, 2018 – Jan 2, 2019), Late Registration $85 (Jan 3, 2019 and after)
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, Jan 2, 2019
Participation Recommendations: Beginner to advanced runners and walkers. Should be able to accomplish a minimum of 30 minutes of run/walk intervals or running activity prior to the start of this program.
Choose a group that best fits current fitness level and focus:
- Walk/Run: Goal is to become better at running for longer durations and get the heart rate up utilizing run/walk intervals, and/or aid in training for a future goal race. You may decide to switch to run group as you progress.
- Run: Goal is to stay consistent with winter running, run for longer durations, run at higher intensities, and/or aid in training for a future goal race.
Group Runs: Coached and supported group runs on SUNDAY MORNINGS @ 8am at either the Sun Prairie or Madison location – see below for specifics. Either a Seminar or up to 30 min of Group Strength/Core will follow each group practice. Expect to be at the workouts for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Fleet Feet Sports Sun Prairie: 2828 Prairie Lakes Drive (EAST) with Coaches Susan and Jake
- Fleet Feet Sports Madison: 8440 Old Sauk Rd (WEST) with Coaches Sydnie and Colby
Other Group Run Options: We strongly encourage you to also take part in our mid-week group runs!
- Wednesday Fun Runs (6pm both locations)
- Thursday Pub Runs (6pm Madison, 6:15pm Sun Prairie)
- Click Here for Fun Run schedules
Program Perks to help you reach your Warrior Status:
- Winter Training Coupon Book to help you gear up to brave the elements
- 7-week training plan with various running and strength workouts
- Weekly training emails from your coaches to keep you accountable and focused
- Coached and supported runs on Sunday morning with guided strength workouts
- Optional Fun Runs mid-week.
- Fleet Feet duffel gym bag
- Camaraderie and support to get outside this winter and stay active!