Trail 10K/20K Training – Spring 2020
Join Fleet Feet & Nathan over the course of 10 weeks to train for the Blue Mounds 10k/20k on June 6th, 2020 (Race date is not official yet, but historically has fallen on the first Saturday of June). Explore the best trails in the area while receiving instruction, support, and camaraderie throughout your training! Special thanks to Nathan Hydration for partnering with us on this program!
**Participation Cap: 35 Participants**
Due to the nature of this program, we are capping participation at 35 people. We will update the website if/when the program is full.
IMPORTANT PROGRAM DATES
- Goal Race: Blue Mounds 10k/20k- TBD, but most likely will fall on June 6th, 2020
- Program Duration: March 28th – June 6th, 2020
- Program Kick-Off: Saturday, March 28th 2020, 8:00am @ Fleet Feet Madison
- First Group Run: Saturday, April 4th, 2020
- Blue Mounds 10k/20K: June 6, 2020
- Donald Dash 5K/15K: May 2, 2020
Optional Mid-Program Practice Race: The Savanna Series is a 5-part trail race series that spans the months of May-October and highlights 5 different trails around the Madison area. Blue Mounds 10k/20k is the second race in this series, so it seemed fitting to include the first race, Donald Dash 5k/15k, as our “warm up” race.
Donald Park, 1945 WI-92 Trunk, Mt Horeb, WI 53572, has a good blend of grassy, rocky, and hilly trails that will acclimate Dirtbags well to the more technical terrain they’ll find at Blue Mounds. Use weather predictions and past race experiences to decide for yourself which distance is best for you. The courses are hillier than you would expect. Savanna Series races have a low participation cap and sell out quickly, so be sure to register early at the link above, if you’re interested.
Program Kick-Off: Saturday, March 28th @ 8:00am at Fleet Feet Madison. This first meeting will be informational (we will not be running this day). We will run through safety concerns and requirements, training plans and program details, and discuss how we can help meet your training needs this season.
The first Group Run will take place on Saturday, April 4th @ 7:00am.
Saturdays @ 7:00am
Group meeting locations will rotate between west, central, and east areas of Madison. Travel time to each location will be kept under 45 min from the capitol. We will NOT meet mid-week; instead we encourage you to attend the Wednesday and Thursday evening fun runs. See Fleet Feet website for details.
- Some tentative meeting locations: UW Arboretum, Indian Lake, and Montrose, Table Bluff, and Lodi Marsh segments of the Ice Age Trail.
TRAINING PROGRAM RATES*
Registration deadline: Wed, March 25, 2020 | Fitvil Online Registration Open
- Early Bird: $159 (until March 4th, 2020)
- Regular Rate: $169 (March 5th – March 25th, 2020)
- Late Registration: $179 (March 26th, 2020 and after)
*Entry into the race is NOT included in your training program registration
Highlights of the Training Program include:
- A complete 10-week training plan leading up the 10k or 20k – training plan options based on goals and running experience
- Strength and core workout videos built into your training plan
- Hill workouts
- Includes days we do not meet
- Weekly program emails with advice, training tips, route information, and motivation
- Expert coaching and guidance
- Weekly group training run on Saturdays
- Educational and interactive seminar series to supplement your training
- Sampling of nutrition/hydration products and trail shoe demos
- Technical running hat and handheld water bottle provided by Nathan
- Participant only in-store discounts
- Vendor partner promotions, giveaways, and special events
- A supportive environment for all athletic abilities that builds lasting camaraderie and friendships!
- All pace levels are welcome, but we recommend you be able to comfortably run 3-5 miles 2-3x/week at the start of training and have completed a 10K within the last year. These recommendations are in place to ensure you stay healthy and injury free throughout the season and build on an existing foundation. If you have any questions or concerns about these recommendations please see contacts listed below.