Trail Half Marathon Training - Fall 2019
Join Fleet Feet & Nathan over the course of 10 weeks to train for the Lapham Peak Half Marathon on September 14, 2019. Receive instruction, guidance, support, and camaraderie throughout your training! Thanks to Nathan Hydration for partnering with us on this program!
**Participation Cap: 30 Participants**
Due to the nature of this program, we are capping participation at 30 people. We will update the website if/when the program is full.
Important Program Dates:
- Goal Race: Lapham Peak - Trail Half Marathon, September 14, 2019. (Or choose another fall event)
- Program Duration: July 8th – September 14, 2019 (10 weeks)
- Program Kick-Off: Monday, July 8, 2019 @ 7:15pm Fleet Feet Madison
- First Group Run: Sunday, July 14th, 2019
Optional Mid-Program Practice Race: As a way for trail newbies to acclimate to the trail race scene before the goal event, we’re incorporating an optional “practice” race roughly halfway through the program. Robert O. Cook Memorial Arboretum in Janesville will host the 2nd annual Arbor Ridge Trail Race on Saturday, August 3rd, 2019. Three distances are available to choose from: 5K, 8K, and 16K. The 8K and 16K coincide best with the training program schedule. Use weather predictions and past race experiences to decide for yourself which distance is best for you. The courses are hillier than you would expect.
Program Kick-Off: Monday, July 8th @ 7:15pm at Fleet Feet Sports Madison. This first meeting will be informational (we will not be running this day). We will run through safety concerns and requirements, training plans and program details, and discuss how we can help meet your training needs this season.
The first Group Run will take place on Sunday July 14th @ 7:00am.
Group Runs: Sundays @ 7:00am
Group meeting locations will rotate between west, central, and east areas of Madison. Travel time to each location will be kept under 45 min from the capitol. We will NOT meet mid-week; instead we encourage you to attend the Wednesday and Thursday evening fun runs. See Fleet Feet website for details.
- Some tentative meeting locations: UW Arboretum, Indian Lake, McCarthy Park, Ice Age Trail- Brooklyn Wildlife Segment, and Ice Age Trail- Lodi Marsh Segment.
Registration deadline: Monday, July 8, 2019: Fitvil Online Registration Closed
- Early Bird: $159 (until June 3, 2019)
- Regular Rate: $169 (June 4 – July 8, 2019)
- Late Registration: $179 (July 9, 2019 and after)
*Entry into the race is NOT included in your training program registration
Highlights of the Training Program include:
- A complete 10-week training plan leading up the Half Marathon – training plan options based on goals and running experience
- Strength and core workouts built into your training plan
- Hill workouts
- Includes days we do not meet
- Weekly program emails with advice, training tips, route information, and motivation
- Expert coaching and guidance
- Weekly group training run on Sunday
- Educational and interactive seminar series to supplement your training
- Sampling of nutrition/hydration products and trail shoe demos
- Technical running hat and handheld water bottle provided by Nathan
- Participant only in-store discounts
- Vendor partner promotions, giveaways, and special events
- A supportive environment for all athletic abilities that builds lasting camaraderie and friendships!
Age Requirements for participation: 18 years old
Training Plan Notes/Recommendations:
- All pace levels are welcome, but we recommend you be able to comfortably run 3-5 miles 2-3x/week at the start of training and have completed a 10K within the last year. These recommendations are in place to ensure you stay healthy and injury free throughout the season and build on an existing foundation. If you have any questions or concerns about these recommendations please see contacts listed below.