Half Marathon Training - Summer 2023
Join the tens of thousands of people who challenge themselves every year to the fastest growing distance race in the country – the half marathon! Better yet, make it the nationally recognized Madison Mini-Marathon, voted best half marathon in Wisconsin by Race Raves! We welcome those who are also training for another summer half marathon. Planning to do a fall full marathon? This is a great program to help you build mileage over the summer months!
IMPORTANT PROGRAM DATES
- Goal Race: Madison Mini-Marathon on August 12, 2023
- Program Duration: June 3, 2023 – August 12, 2023 (10 weeks)
- Registration Deadline: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
- Meet and Greet Program Kick-Off: Saturday, June 3, 2023 @ 8:30 a.m. Fleet Feet Madison (8440 Old Sauk Rd).
- $99 (Now – May 1, 2023)
- $129 (May 2 – May 31)
- $139 (June 1 and after)
*Registration into the goal race is NOT included in your training program registration
ONLINE REGISTRATION CLOSED
Age requirement for participation: 16 years old.
MEET AND GREET PROGRAM KICK-OFF
Saturday, June 3, 2023 @ 8:30 a.m.
Fleet Feet Madison (8440 Old Sauk Rd.)
This first meeting will be informational. We will run through training program details and highlight the best gear for a successful training session. The kick-off is also an excellent opportunity to introduce you to the coaches and pacers and will last approximately 45 minutes.
GROUP RUNS (2X/WEEK)
- Wednesdays @ 6:00 p.m.
- *Saturdays @ 7:00 a.m.
Meeting locations: Wednesday group runs will typically alternate between the Fleet Feet stores (8440 Old Sauk Rd / 2828 Prairie Lakes Dr) and Vilas Park Beach (1501 Vilas Park Dr, Madison, WI 53715). Weekend meeting locations will rotate between west, central, and east areas of Madison utilizing several popular Madison area parks and trails.
*Due to overlapping programs, the FIRST TWO WEEKEND GROUP RUNS will take place on SUNDAY (June 4 and June 11). All subsequent runs will be on Saturday.
Participants are also welcome to participate in our free weekly fun runs. Sign up required. More information on our free fun runs can be found on the Fleet Feet website.
- Fleet Feet 5K (3 mi.) – Mondays @ 6:00 p.m.
- Pub Runs (3-5 mi.) – Thursdays @ 6:15 p.m.
We recommend you be able to run 3-4 miles 2-3x/week prior to the start of half marathon training. This is to ensure you stay healthy and injury free. Our programs are inclusive to a variety of paces and ability levels. Program participants generally range anywhere from 8:30 min./mile to 15 min./mile.
- A complete and detailed 10-week training plan leading up to the Madison Mini-Marathon (2 training plans to choose from based on goals and experience).
- Strength and core workouts
- Weekly program emails with route information, advice, training tips, and motivation
- Expert coaching and guidance
- Organized group workouts 2x/week with mapped courses – routes include some portions of the race course
- Gear wear tests, promotions, and giveaways
- Sampling of nutrition and hydration products
- Staffed pace group leaders on Saturday mornings to help you stay on track
- Fleet Feet Running Club gear item
- Fleet Feet coupon book
- A supportive environment for all athletic abilities that builds lasting camaraderie and friendships!
CONTACT AND QUESTIONS:
Coach Megan Sweet
Fleet Feet Madison: 608-833-9999
*JOIN THE FLEET FEET PACING TEAM**
Become a Fleet Feet program pacer!
We are currently recruiting pacers for our summer half marathon training program! We are looking for pace leaders for the Saturday long runs throughout the length of the program. Pacers are assigned to run a designated pace +/-:15 minute mile for the duration of the long runs on Saturday mornings at 7:00 a.m. for the half marathon runners. We request that our pacers’ schedule allows them to pace at least 3 long runs throughout the course of the program. We typically staff pacers from 8:30 min/mile – 12:30 min/mile.
If you have experience running various half marathons and/or marathons, enjoy motivating other runners, and can run with enthusiasm, dedication, and commitment please contact Megan
Program pacers receive free program entry (not including race entries), product compensation, pace team perks, and the priceless feeling of helping your fellow runners achieve their goals!