Spring 2023 – Half and Full Marathon Training
Madison’s premier group running program! All levels of running experience are welcome. This program is tailored to helping participants train for the Madtown Half Marathon and Maritime/Grandma’s full marathon. However, you are welcome to join us if you are preparing for another spring running event around the same time frame.
- Half Marathon: March 4 – May 28, 2023 (12 weeks)
- Full Marathon: March 4 – June 17, 2023 (15 weeks)
Meet & Greet Kick-Off: Saturday, March 4 @ 8:30 a.m. | Fleet Feet Madison (8440 Old Sauk Rd.)
First Group Run: Sunday, March 5, 2023 @ 7:00 a.m.
Registration Deadline: Monday, February 27, 2023
- Run Madtown Half Marathon (May 28, 2023)
- Maritime Marathon (June 11, 2023) or Grandma’s Marathon (June 17, 2023)
We can help you customize the program to prepare for most spring season goal races. Many participants also use this program to train for the Lake Monona 20K (May 6, 2023), Ragnar Relay Great Midwest (May 12-13), Syttende Mai 20-mile (May 13, 2023), and Madeline Island Marathon (May 20, 2023).
Full marathoners are responsible travel and accommodation arrangements associated with goal events. Grandma’s Marathon typically sells out. Register for the event ASAP.**
*Grandma's Marathon Running Club Experience: please email Megan for instructions on registering for Grandma's Marathon to ensure you receive program benefits.
TRAINING PROGRAM RATES*:
Half Marathon Online Registration Closed
- Early Bird: $129 (Dec. 1 to Jan. 1)
- Regular Rate: $139 (Jan. 2 to Feb. 27)
- Late Registration: $149 (Feb. 28 and after)
Full Marathon Online Registration Closed
- Early Bird: $149 (Dec. 1 to Jan. 1)
- Regular Rate: $159 (Jan. 2 to Feb. 27)
- Late Registration: $169 (Feb. 28 and after)
*Training program fee does not include registration into the goal races or races built into the training plans
Races built into the 2023 Training Plans – in addition to the goal races.
- Wednesdays – 6:00 p.m.
- Sundays – 7:00 a.m.
Meeting locations will rotate between west, central, and east areas of Madison. On Sunday mornings, participants are tourists in our own great city running through several Madison area parks and trails. Wednesday group runs will generally be centrally located except for days we have a seminar and/or event, in which case we will meet at the Fleet Feet stores.
*We will not meet as a group Easter weekend.
Other Highlights of the Training Program Include:
- A complete training plan leading up to goal events: options based on goals and running experience
- Strength and core workouts
- Expert coaching
- Weekly program emails with advice, training tips, and motivation
- 2x/week coached and supported group runs
- Educational and interactive seminar series to supplement your training
- Sampling of nutrition and hydration products
- Fleet Feet coupon book
- Vendor partner wear tests, promotions, and giveaways
- Pace group leaders on Sunday group runs to help you stay on track and consistent
- Optional speed specific workouts to increase efficiency
- Team technical shirt
- Discounted race entry in Run Madtown and Shamrock Shuffle events
- A supportive environment for all athletic abilities that builds lasting camaraderie and friendships!
- Discounted race entry in Run Madtown, Shamrock Shuffle, HFM Maritime, and Grandma's Marathon
- Grandma's Marathon Running Club Experience benefits
- Discounted race entry
- Entry to running club start line tent with exclusive bathrooms and coffee
- Finish line bleacher passes
- Reserved tables at the Michelina’s All-You-Can-Eat Spaghetti Dinner from 11:00 am-2:00 pm
- Official running club program bib recognition
- Discounted race entry
BASE MILEAGE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TRAINING:
These recommendations are in place to help you stay healthy and injury free throughout the season and build on an existing fitness foundation. If you have any questions or concerns about these recommendations, please contact Megan: Director of Training Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Half Marathon: 4 mile long run, 8-10 mile weekly average
- Full Marathon: 8 mile long run, 18-20 mile weekly average
Our programs are inclusive to a variety of pace and ability levels. While there are no pace requirements in order to participate, most race course time limits request participants be able to maintain 15 minute/mile average pace.
*JOIN THE FLEET FEET PACING TEAM**
Become a Fleet Feet program pacer!
We are currently recruiting pacers for our Spring Half & Full Marathon Training Program! We are looking for pace leaders for the Sunday long runs throughout the length of the program. Pacers are assigned to run a designated pace +/-:15 minute mile for the duration of the long runs on Sunday mornings at 7:00 a.m. for the half and full marathon runners. We request that our pacers’ schedule allows them to pace at least 3 long runs throughout the course of the program.
If you have experience running various half marathons and/or marathons, enjoy motivating other runners, and can run with enthusiasm, dedication, and commitment please contact Megan
Program pacers receive free program entry (not including race entries), product compensation, pace team perks, and the priceless feeling of helping your fellow runners achieve their goals!
Pacers are required to attend a 1-hour mandatory pacer orientation on February 25 @ 8:30 a.m. (Fleet Feet Madison) one-week before the training program begins.