Destination Training 2019
We’re excited to announce the 2019 Destination Training Program goal race is in Gulf Shores, AL for the Big Beach Half and Full Marathon on January 27, 2019! Gulf Shores is known for its white sand beaches and clear Gulf of Mexico waters. Run 13.1, 26.2 or on a five-person (or less) marathon relay team at the Big Beach!
While it’s an absolute blast celebrating in a warm destination with your running friends at the end of 12 weeks, you are not required to travel in order to participate in the training program (but it is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED – just ask the 50+ people that made the trip in previous years).
INFORMATIONAL MEETING: Tuesday, October 23 – 7:00PM (Fleet Feet Madison)
An informational meeting will be held at Fleet Feet Sports Madison for those that would like more information on the program. You will receive additional information on registration, group events, hotel information and reservation, and any other questions you have regarding the trip or training program.
Goal Race: Big Beach Marathon on January 27, 2019
Team Discount Code: FFMADISON (Expiration: January 5, 2019)
Packet Pick-Up: The Lodge at Gulf State Park: 21196 East Beach Blvd. Gulf Shores, AL 36542
· Saturday, January 26 (1pm – 8pm) | Sunday, January 27 (Race morning, 6:15am – 7:45am)
Race Start: 8am | Course time limits:
· Half Marathon: 3.5 hours
· Full Marathon/Marathon Relay: 7 hours
TRAINING PROGRAM: Fitvil Online Registration Closed
- Early Bird Discount: $85 (until October 24, 2018)
- Regular: $95 (October 25, 2018 – November 5, 2018)
- Late Registration: $105 (November 6, 2018 and after)
*Entry into the race is NOT included in program registration
Training Program Registration Deadline: Monday, November 5, 2018
Kick-Off: Saturday, November 10, 2018 – Fleet Feet Sports Madison @ 8:45am
First Group Run: Saturday, November 17, 2018 @ 8am
Program Duration: Saturday, November 10 – Sunday, January 27
All paid participants will receive their first group email the week of November 5. That email will include your training plan and other program details. All weekly emails will be sent on Monday afternoons and will supply all the information needed for each week of training.
Training Plans: You will have the option of 4 training plans.
- Half Marathon Completion/Performance Plan
- Full Marathon Completion/Performance Plan
Races: We encourage runners to participate in the following fall/winter races for some extra fun!
- Berbee Derby – 5K or 10K on Thursday, November 22 (Join the Fleet Feet Sports Team!)
- Run Santa Run – Saturday, December 1
- New Year’s Day Dash – January 1, 2019
Group Runs: Coached and supported group runs will take place on SATURDAY mornings at 8AM at varied locations around the Madison area. We encourage all participants to also take part in weekly fun runs for mid-week mileage. This will give you multiple options to get your runs in with a group mid-week (the key to success in winter running!).
- Wednesday night fun runs @ 6pm – meet at FF Madison and FF Sun Prairie
- Thursday night fun runs @ 6pm (west) 6:15pm (east) – rotating pubs around Madison – west and east locations available. See website for meeting locations.
Other aspects of the Training Program include:
- Weekly emails providing motivation, coaching, and advice for your training
- A complete 11 week training plan leading up to the Big Beach Half and Full Marathon
- Coached and supported group runs on Saturday mornings
- Fun run options at both FF Madison and FF Sun Prairie to help you stay motivated mid-week
- Valuable Fleet Feet coupon book with discounts on such items as apparel, winter accessories, socks, yaktrax or stabilicers, and other winter running gear to help you train successfully
- Electrolyte and nutrition samples
- Vendor partner wear tests and giveaways
- Winter beanie
- Group hotel discount and organized group agenda/activities while in Gulf Shores
- Educational workshops to supplement your training
- Discounted registration into winter events from Race Day Events LLC
- 50% Off Run Santa Run
- 50% Off New Year’s Day Dash
- (1) Complimentary individual Pinnacle Indoor Tri
- Discounted race entry into the Big Beach Marathon Events
- Motivation and camaraderie to get outside in the winter and run! (IT CAN BE DONE – even in Wisconsin!)
Travel Days: January 25, 2019 – January 28, 2019 (3 nights, Fly In: Friday, Fly Out: Monday). This is the time frame that was negotiated with the hotel for the group rate. If participants are interested in staying longer, or leaving earlier, you may do so subject to availability of rooms at the time the reservation is made. Rate is available for add on dates to either side of the reservation.
Flights: Each participant is responsible for booking their own flight. We recommend flying into the Pensacola International Airport (PNS) and renting a car or carpooling with your fellow trainees to the hotel (36 miles). We can help you make these connections throughout training.
Our hotel is approximately 1 mile from the half and full marathon race start and is also the location of the expo and packet pick-up! This hotel will also have shuttle services to/from the race start. Sharing a room with other participants is a great option for those who are budget conscious. We can help make these connections as reservations are being made. Room options include either 2 queen beds, or 1 king.
Room Group Rate: $99/per night + taxes. HOTEL RESERVATION FORM
HOTEL RESERVATION NOTES: We have a block of rooms on hold for our group. Once our block is full, all additional room reservations are subject to room availability at the hotel (although our group rate will still be honored if booked as part of the training program). This is in a very desirable location in regards to the race. Once you are committed to the trip and know your travel dates, please turn in your hotel reservation forms to Megan Sweet at Fleet Feet Madison (email@example.com) by November 12, 2018 at the latest. Rooms will be booked on a first come, first serve basis until our block is full. We will then book additional room reservations as needed based on room availability. Family and friends who are not training or racing are welcome to join you on the trip – however, they too will need to fill out a group hotel reservation form.
- If you wish to deviate from the negotiated nights listed above (Friday - Monday) it is to your advantage to turn in your room reservations in ASAP since extra nights are subject to room availability. Room rate is honored two (2) days pre/post over contracted event dates, based on availability.
- Self-Parking: $10/night.
You are responsible for your own transportation from the airport to the hotel and vice versa. The best option is to split this cost with other participants with a car rental or other mode of transportation. Some participants may choose to rent cars. Once everyone has made their flight arrangements, we will combine all the flight information to help you make carpool connections. The Pensacola International Airport (PNS) airport is approximately 36 miles from the hotel. We also have a private Facebook group that can be used to communicate with other participants while in Gulf Shores.
There will be two organized group dinners while in Gulf Shores. One will take place early Saturday evening (January 26) and another Sunday night (January 27). You are responsible for finding your own meals for the remainder of your stay. Meal cost is not included in training program registration. There are plenty of meal options within walking distance of the hotel.
For more information about the 2019 Destination Training Program Contact:
Fleet Feet Madison: 8440 Old Sauk Rd. Madison, WI 53562
Director of Training Programs: Megan Sweet: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 608.833.9999
**Special Thanks to Linda Rothberger from Rothberger Travel for her continued support of the Fleet Feet Destination Training Program**