Fleet Feet Sports Destination Training 2018
Charleston Marathon and Half Marathon: January 13, 2018 | Fitvil Online Registration Closed
We’re excited to announce the 2018 Destination Training Program goal race is in Charleston, SC for the Charleston Half and Full Marathon on January 13, 2018! The Holy City is best known for historical beauty, secret gardens, a steeple-rich skyscape, and outlying plantations predating the Civil War. In January, the average high is 59˚F and average low is 38˚F – this makes for excellent running weather!
While it’s an absolute blast celebrating in a warm destination with your running friends at the end of 12 weeks, you are not required to travel in order to participate in the training program (but it is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED – just ask the 50 some people that made the trip in previous years).
An informational meeting will be held at Fleet Feet Sports Madison. You will receive additional information on registration, group events, hotel information and reservation, and any other questions you have regarding the trip or training program.
Date of Meeting: Tue, Oct 10th – 7:15PM (FFS Madison
Goal Race: Charleston Half and Full Marathon
Use promotional code FFMadison when registering for the Marathon, Half Marathon, or Shrimp and Grits 5k distance races in Charleston to receive 20% off as part of the Fleet Feet Sports Madison and Sun Prairie Training Group.
Packet Pick-Up: Friday, January 12 at the Charleston Marathon Expo.
Race Start: 8am
Course time limits: Half/Full Marathon: 6.5 hours
*Participants must be able to run or speed walk the first 8 miles of the course no slower than a rate of 4 mph to exit the City of Charleston by 10:00 am (2 hours).
TRAINING PROGRAM | Fitvil Online Registration Closed
Early Bird Discount: $89 (until October 10, 2017)
Regular: $99 (October 11, 2017 – October 23, 2017)
Late Registration: $109 (October 24, 2017 and after)
*Entry into the race is NOT included in program registration
Training Program Registration Deadline: Monday, October 23, 2017
Kick-Off: Wednesday October 25, 2017 – Fleet Feet Sports Madison
First Group Run: Saturday, October 28, 2017 @ 8am.
*we will NOT meet as a group on the weekend of Christmas Eve (December 23, 2017)
Program Duration: Saturday, October 28 – Saturday, January 13 (12 weeks)
All paid participants will receive their first group email the week of October 16. That email will include your training plan and other program details. All weekly emails will be sent on Monday afternoons and will supply all the information needed for each week of training.
Training Plans: You will have the option of 4 training plans.
- Half Marathon Completion/Performance Plan
- Full Marathon Completion/Performance Plan
Races: We encourage runners to participate in the following fall/winter races for some extra fun!
- Berbee Derby – 5K or 10K on Thursday, November 23 (Join the Fleet Feet Sports Team!)
- Run Santa Run – Saturday, December 2
- New Year’s Day Dash – January 1, 2018
Group Runs: Coached and supported group runs will take place on SATURDAY mornings at 8AM at varied locations around the Madison area. We encourage all participants to also take part in weekly fun runs for mid-week mileage. This will give you multiple options to get your runs in with a group mid-week (the key to success in winter running!).
- Wednesday night fun runs @ 6pm – meet at FFS Madison and FFS Sun Prairie
- Thursday night fun runs @ 6pm – rotating pubs around Madison – west and east locations available
Other aspects of the Training Program include:
- Weekly emails providing motivation, coaching, and advice for your training
- A complete 12 week training program leading up to the Charleston Half and Full Marathon
- Coached and supported group runs on Saturday mornings
- Fun Run options at both FFS Madison and FFS Sun Prairie to stay motivated mid-week
- Valuable Fleet Feet coupon book with discounts on such items as apparel, winter accessories, socks, yaktrax or stabilicers, and other winter running gear to help you train successfully
- Electrolyte and nutrition samples from program nutrition sponsor – Generation UCAN
- Vendor partner wear tests and giveaways
- Winter beanie
- Group hotel discount and organized group agenda/activities while in Charleston
- Educational workshops to supplement your training
- Discounted registration into winter events from Race Day Events LLC
- Motivation and camaraderie to get outside in the winter and run! (IT CAN BE DONE – even in Wisconsin!)
Travel Days: January 11, 2017 – January 14, 2017 (3 nights, Fly In: Thursday, Fly Out: Sunday). This is the time frame that was negotiated with the hotel for the group rate. If participants are interested in staying longer, or leaving earlier, you may do so subject to availability of rooms at the time the reservation is made. Rate is available for add on dates to either side of the reservation.
Flights: Each participant is responsible for booking their own flight. Fly into the Charleston International Airport (CHS).
Hotel: Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown – Ashley River: 250 Spring Street Charleston, SC 29403
Our hotel is just over a half-mile walk from the half and full marathon race start near downtown, so there are several restaurants at our disposal. Sharing a room with other participants is a great option for those who are budget conscious. We can help make these connections as reservations are being made. Room options include either 2 queen beds, or 1 king.
- Check in time is 3pm. Check-out time is 12p.
- Free breakfast and wifi available at the hotel.
Room Group Rate: $172/per night (this INCLUDES taxes and fees – 14% tax + $2.00 destination fee).
HOTEL RESERVATION NOTES: We have a block of rooms on hold for our group. Once our block is full, all additional room reservations are subject to room availability at the hotel (although our group rate will still be honored if booked as part of the training program). This is in a very desirable location in regards to the race. Once you are committed to the trip and know your travel dates, please turn in your hotel reservation forms to Megan Dolan at Fleet Feet Sports Madison by November 3, 2017. Rooms will be booked on a first come, first serve basis until our block is full. We will then book additional room reservations as needed based on room availability. Family and friends who are not training or racing are welcome to join you on the trip – however, they too will need to fill out a group hotel reservation form.
- If you wish to deviate from the negotiated nights listed above (Thursday - Sunday) it is to your advantage to turn in your room reservations in ASAP since extra nights are subject to room availability.
You are responsible for your own transportation from the airport to the hotel, expo, and vice versa. The best option is to split this cost with other participants with a taxi fare, Uber, or other mode of transportation. Some participants may choose to rent cars. Once everyone has made their flight arrangements, we will combine all the flight information to help you make carpool connections. The Charleston airport is approximately 12 miles from the hotel. We also have a private Facebook group that can be used to communicate with other participants while in Charleston.
There will be two organized group dinners while in Charleston. One will take place early Friday evening (January 12) and another Saturday night (January 13). You are responsible for finding your own meals for the remainder of your stay. Meal cost is not included in training program registration. There are plenty of meal options within walking distance of the hotel.
For more information about the 2018 Destination Training Program Contact:
Fleet Feet Sports Madison: 8440 Old Sauk Rd. Madison, WI 53562
Email: Director of Training Programs: Megan Dolan: Phone: 608.833.9999
**Special Thanks to Linda Rothberger from Rothberger Travel for her continued support of the Fleet Feet Sports Destination Training Program**