Racing Team 2014
Latest News: Final Standings Updated 11-17-2014 | Results to be announced by Coaches Matt G & Megan D.
With your membership we are offering Yoga 4 Runners free in the months of March & April 2014. Click on the link for more details and to RSVP!
We’re excited to announce the details of our 2014 Racing Team! **Don’t let the name scare you! Racing Team is not just for “fast” runners, it is open to ANYONE who wants to work on becoming more efficient and challenge their current running pace.**
Speed work training is an important part of any training routine. Speed work doesn’t just make you run faster. It makes you fitter, increases the range of movement in your joints, makes you more comfortable at all speeds, and it will ultimately help you to run harder for longer. These sessions will help you stay race ready and have been carefully designed to be beneficial to those who specialize in any distance and can be utilized by ANY level of runner. In addition, interval type training is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories!
Fleet Feet Sports Madison Racing Team- Register Online
The goal of the Racing Team is to help each team member maximize their ability with year-round training opportunities focusing on local and regional races. Our athletes range in ability level but are all committed to training, racing, and Fleet Feet Sports. Team Members support each other, promote our store, demonstrate good sportsmanship, and give back to the running community. In addition to practicing and competing at events, we will also compete internally using an age/sex grading formula (WAVA) for some great end of the year prizes from our vendor partners!
All team members receive weekly emails detailing workouts, meeting locations, social events, discount codes, coupons, and more!
Meet Racing Team Coach Matt Groose
- Education: Exercise Science/Health Promotion; UW-Oshkosh
- High School: Watertown
- Track Personal Bests: 800m - 1:47.6, Mile - 4:00.1
- Accolades Include:
-4-time NCAA DIII NCAA Champion - 800 meter run
-Competed in 4 USA Track Championships - 2005-2007
-Wisconsin Ironman Finisher – 2011
-Coaches Girls Cross Country at Memorial High School
Fun Fact:Younger brother of Fleet Feet owner Jessica Anderson. Growing up in a family of runners, Jessica was the last to take up running when she was in her early 20's. She was a cheerleader in high school, now she is the owner of Fleet Feet and a diehard runner!
ANYONE CAN JOIN THE RACING TEAM. You do not have to be fast, or run a particular distance, or be a certain age. Our only requirement is that our team members continue to enjoy running and HAVE FUN!
Benefits of Team Membership:
Team members are able to participant in weekly group workouts, enjoy team social gatherings, and receive discount entry into several target events throughout the year. Not only do members train together, but they race together too. Carpooling to events, cheering each other on, and celebrating individual victories are all benefits to team membership. Members also receive discount on select Racing Team product and can participate in biannual team only shopping nights with food, drinks, and more discounts! Each team member will also receive 2 “guest passes” to invite friends or family members to a workout with you!
There will be various options for team workouts throughout the year. First workout and season kick-off will take place on Tuesday, March 11, 6PM at Fleet Feet Sports.
- Spring/Fall: Speed workouts: Each Tuesday at Fleet Feet (March 11 – June 10 & Aug 5 – Oct. 28) at 6pm.
- Summer: Track Workouts and Hill Workouts: Every Tuesday – the majority of the workouts will take place at Madison Memorial High School Track.(June 17 – July 29) at 7pm.
- Pub Runs: Thursday’s at 6pm (rotating locations) Click here to see a list of our Pub Run locations (updated monthly)
- Long Weekend Runs: 1-2x a month – all year
Team and Individual Competition:
When possible we will compete as a team or as several teams in local and regional events. For the internal individual team competition, we will use WAVA Tables (World Association of Veteran Athletes) which allows us to fairly compute scoring by taking in consideration age and gender. After running an event you will submit your time and we will calculate your points. Scores will be saved and added cumulatively for our athletes throughout the year. At the end of the year the cumulative total of your top scores in each distance category will be used to determine the award winners. You can run as many events as you like and in any category, but only your top times will be used for annual awards.
New for 2014-- Wear Fleet Feet & Double Your Scoring Points: As a participant of the Racing Team you are given a Fleet Feet Racing singlet. We love to see you wear them at as many events as possible. We have added an incentive to double your score points if you are wearing Fleet Feet Sports at the event. Please post a picture of yourself wearing Fleet Feet at the event to our Racing Team Facebook page and we will double your submitted scores.
Points will be updated on a weekly basis and race times must be submitted within 7 days of completing the event in order to count.
2014 Target Running Events:
- Shamrock Shuffle: 5K & 10K (March 16, 2014)
- MadCity 50K Relay: 5x10K relay – Team Event (April 12, 2014)
- Lake Monona 5K &20K (May 3, 2014)
- WaunaFest 5K and 10 mile (July 26, 2014)
- Capitol Mile:Goal race for Speed Camp participants (July 27, 2014)
- Madison Mini-Marathon 5K and half-marathon (August 16, 2014)
- Good Neighbor Festival 5K(August 23, 2014)
- Cow Chip Classic 5K & 10K (August 30, 2014)
- Gilda’s Run 5K and 10K(August 2014)
- Fall Madison Half and Full: Half Marathon and Full Marathon (November 9, 2014)
2014 Target Triathlon Events:
Triathlon - Wisconsin Tri Series Events
- Lake Mills Triathlon (June 1, 2014)
- WI Triterium Triathlon (June 28, 2014)
- Pardeeville Triathlon (July 12, 2014)
- Tri-ing for Children’s (July 27, 2014)
- Sugar River Triathlon (August 31, 2014)
- Devils Challenge Triathlon (September 14, 2014)
*Triathlon Scoring: The scoring system for the Triathlon Category is slightly different than the WAVA Scoring system for running event. It is based on how your finishing time compares to the winner of your age group. Here are the steps to calculating your points:
1. The times for the overall winners of the event are pushed down into their appropriate age groups (if necessary).
2. The winning time (converted into seconds) in an age group is divided by the team member’s time (converted into seconds).
3. The result is multiplied by 100 and rounded down.
- The winner of M30-34 raced 1:01:01 (3661 sec)
- Team member raced 1:31:01 (5401 sec). The team member would earn 67 points - (3661/5401) * 100 = 67.
- The top 2 scores from the Tri Series will be added up for each individual’s total (regardless of the distance).
Racing Team Awards: Based on cumulative points in the Internal Team Competition, awards will be granted to the top score winners in each of the following distance categories – each winner will receive prize products from the vendor partner shown:
|Event||Vendor Prize Sponsor||Awards|
|5K||Saucony||Top 3 Scores|
|10K||Brooks||Top 3 Scores|
|Half Marathon||Nike||Top 2 Scores|
|Marathon||Mizuno||Top 2 Scores|
|Triathlon||Newton||Top 2 Scores|
|Racing Team||Fleet Feet Sports Madison||Overall Score Winner|
New for 2014: In order to qualify for end of the year awards, you must attend at least 8 team workouts throughout the year.
Annual Team Membership Dues: Register Online
- $85 New Members (includes Racing Team Jersey)
- $70 Returning Members
- Fleet Feet Multisport Club athletes receive free membership with their 2014 FFMC registration
For more information email Megan Director of Training Programs or call the store 608-833-9999.