Fleet Feet Madison 5k Bracket Challenge 7th Running
Sunday, April 14, 2013 -6:00pm
Quaker Steak and Lube, Deming Way- Middleton
In the spirit of March Madness, Fleet Feet Sports Madison has come up with a slightly different take on the standard office pool. This will be the seventh year for this event targeted at the participants of our Fleet Feet Training groups, the Fleet Feet Racing Team and our new Fleet Feet Multisport Club.
Here is how it works:
- The 5k will be a `preferred start' - this means that each participant must submit their 5k PR (personal record). This will be on an honor system but we can check this online if we think your time looks a bit slow (and thus unfair to others). Don’t worry if you haven’t run your PR for a while this is just a way to help us seed you for the start.
- The start will be in reverse order of the submitted PR's.
- For example, Bob’s PR is 24:00 minutes while Frank's is 20:00 minutes. This means Bob will start 4 minutes before Frank.
This should result in a competitive and crowded finish since everyone will be coming in at about the same time.
That part is easy enough, but here is where the brackets come into play:
- Make your NCAA Men's BB Tournament Picks. Each correct pick results in 1 point, 2 points in the final 4, and 5 points if you pick the National Champion. Each point equals a 1 second advantage for you.
- Using Bob and Frank from above here is how it works – Bob picks 20 games correctly (20 points), Frank picks 40 (40 points). Bob will now start at 24:20 and Frank will start at 20:40. So, Frank has picked up 20 seconds on Bob because of his luck in the bracket.
Since we do not want to promote gambling, we are providing this event free of charge and offering small prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers. We also invite everyone to join us for food and drinks afterward at the Quaker Steak and Lube.
Registration: We have set up a CBS Sportsline Bracket Challenge site to track the tournament action and to serve as our registration tool for the event. Please send me an email, firstname.lastname@example.org, to join the Fleet Feet on-line college hoops bracket group. You will need to create a CBS Sportsline account if you do not have one. I will then invite you to the group and you will receive instructions on how to make your picks.
Remember, you must make your picks prior to the first game at 11am on Thursday March 21, 2013.
Send your 5k PR (personal record) time, and the name of the event where you ran your PR, to email@example.com as soon as possible but no later than 5:00pm, April 8, 2013.
FINE PRINT: This is still basically a fun run and not an organized event. The PR's and the start will be on the Honor System (although I reserve the right to research fishy looking PR's!). Also, we will have the course marked but there will be no volunteers directing traffic, so you should get to know the route in advance. We will send out maps to those that register.