- Blood flow
- Temperature regulation
- Delivery of nutrients to cells
- Waste disposal from system
- Muscle function
- Joint cushioning
You can't forget to water a plant and then drown it in fluid to make up for it. The same is true for your body. Your body doesn't store water to use for later. You must hydrate continuously at the right levels all day to replace fluid loss. A general rule of thumb is to consume about 1 oz. of fluid per 2 pounds of body weight, plus what you sweat out during exercise.
- Weigh yourself without clothes on before exercising for (ideally) one hour.
- After your run strip down and weigh yourself again.
- Assuming you did not use the toilet or consume any fluids during exercise, your weight loss is your sweat rate.
- For each pound lost, you lost approximately 16 oz. of fluid. If you drink any fluids or use the rest room between the two weight samples, you'll need to include both of these estimated weights in your calculations.
- Add fluid consumed to the amount of weight lost. Subtract estimated bodily void weight from the total weight lost.
- Be sure to record the heat and humidity conditions in your sweat test.
For best results, repeat the test in cool and hot conditions. Repeat the test for swimming, running and cycling because sweat rates will vary for each sport and vary with environmental conditions.
So whether you carry, wear, or hide your water in the bushes - make sure you are taking care of your body. Don't forget, electrolyte replacement is just as important as keeping your water levels up. At Fleet Feet Knoxville, our staff is ready to help you with your hydration questions - we have all the gear and products you need to keep you running happy and fluidly!
Per request, here is the presentation from our Hydration 101 Clinic. Click here to view and download.
Thur. 02.29 - Love Run 5K Packet Pick-Up
Love Run 5k Packet Pick-Up
11:00am - 6:00pm
https://runsignup.com/Race/TN/Norris/5KLoveRun1MFROn March 2, 2024 The Child Advocacy Center…Learn More ›
Open Group Run
6:30pm - 7:30pm | Fleet Feet Knoxville, 11619 Parkside Dr, Knoxville, TN 37934
When: Every Thursday at 6:30pm Where: Starts from the store Who: All levels welcome Distance…Learn More ›
Connect With Us
see the latest from Fleet Feet Knoxville