The term “runner’s knee” is a loose term used to describe pain around the knee. There are two common conditions associated with runner’s knee; Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS) and Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome (ITBS). There are many different causes of runner’s knee. Pain often comes on gradually with no specific mechanism of injury and is generally felt during or after a run, especially when going up or down stairs or after getting up from a prolonged seated position. Since there are so many different causes of runner’s knee, there is a multi-faceted approach to treatment.
- Weakness of the muscles of the thigh, hip, and core
- Muscle imbalances
- Tightness of the iliotibial band (IT Band)
- Hamstring & quadriceps tightness
- Flat arches or feet that overpronate while walking / running that are not properly supported (typically will experience PFPS)
- High arches or feet that underpronate while walking / running that are not properly cushioned (typically will experience ITBS)
- Strengthening of quadriceps, hamstrings, hip & core muscles
- Stretching of the IT Band with a foam roller
- Stretching of the hamstrings & quadriceps muscles
- Use of FRoller
- Proper footwear
- Inserts for the shoe (over the counter, semi-custom, or custom)
- Use of a patellar tendon or IT Band strap during activity
- KT Tape
- Tendon Trak
Stop In & Say Hello
We are proud to be locally owned & operated by Fernanda & Dave Jacobs and look forward to helping you!
Our online store includes items from our West Hartford store and from locally-owned Fleet Feet stores nationwide.
Join Our Mailing List
Our e-news include information on gear, training programs, event races, sales & special offers!
Flight School With Brooks
CommUNITY Fun Run
8:30am - 9:30am | Fleet Feet - Hartford, 1003 Farmington Ave, West Hartford, CT 06107
Join Fleet Feet staffer & Hartbeat Track Club member, Tommy O'Gorman, for a run through the …Learn More ›
CommUNITY Fun Run
6:15pm - 7:15pm | Fleet Feet - Hartford, 1003 Farmington Ave, West Hartford, CT 06107
Running is about a lot more than logging miles and collecting race medals. Running communiti…Learn More ›
Connect With Us
see the latest from Fleet Feet Sports West Hartford