SAUSAGE, KALE & CROUTON SAUTE
Some nights I’ve carved out an hour’s worth of time to get dinner on the table. Other night’s it’s a bit more frantic. If I were to time it, and subtract the times I was called away from the counter/stove by a needy child, I’d say this is an 18-minute meal. Beans and greens are a tasty combo, enhanced by the sausage and Parmesan. A perfect dinner for a busy weeknight.
Sausage, Kale & Crouton Saute
- 2 cups of 1-inch cubes of sturdy white bread (like sourdough, ciabatta)
- ½ lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ cup white beans, (about half 15 oz can)
- 2 handfuls or more torn curly kale leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add bread crumbs and toast, stirring, until lightly browned and almost crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Push the croutons aside and add a little more olive oil. Then add garlic and sausage. Cook breaking up the sausage bits until browned all over.
- Add the greens and cook until they start to wilt. Next add the beans and warm through.
- Season well with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Add vinegar to the pan and use it to scrape up any stuck bits.
- Serve the saute into bowls, finish with cheese if desired.
Source: Perelman, Deb Smitten Kitchen Every Day
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at email@example.com