Moroccan Chicken & Squash
Some nights the goal is to simply get a meal on the table. For the nights when it doesn’t need to be fancy and there’s a limited time to assemble dinner, I’ll make a meal in the slow cooker. The meals aren’t first class, but they are tasty and healthy. Our slow cooker has an almost permanent spot on the kitchen counter. It only gets tucked away into the pantry when company’s coming over and I’ve made an effort to straighten up the kitchen.
I prefer slow cooker meals that require a minimal prep time. If I have to cook something before adding it to the slow cooker, it’s unlikely I’ll make it. For this dinner, I’ll buy precut butternut squash to save time. Short cuts are encouraged. It’s preferable to take out or fast food. Complete this meal with rice or couscous.
- 8 oz butternut squash, peeled & cut into large chunks
- 1 leek, sliced
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1-2lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- grated lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Couscous or rice, for serving
- cilantro, for serving (optional)
- Combine the squash, leek and raisins in a 6 quart slow cooker. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place on top of the vegetables.
- Whisk the chicken broth, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, turmeric, lemon zest, juice and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with rice, topping with cilantro if desired.
Source: Food Network Magazine
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org