KALE PESTO WITH ZUCCHINI NOODLES
This is the recipe I prepared a few weeks ago for a cooking demo for the Ton of Fun participants. The room smelled wonderfully of garlic and the reaction to the recipe was positive. Many planned to make it at home. From start to finish, including my instruction, the meal came together in 40 minutes. You can use this pesto just as you would a typical basil pesto. My intent was to demonstrate elevating food choices by using a super food like kale.
The pesto is great on shrimp, salmon and chicken. Try it on a sandwich or in lettuce wrap with a kale pesto chicken salad. This recipe makes a lot, close to two cups. Generally you are using a tablespoon or two at a time. So freeze the rest in ice cube trays and then transfer to a labeled freezer bag. You can toss a cube into pasta, spaghetti squash, sautéed veggies whenever your flavors need a boost.
Kale Pesto with Zucchini Noodles
- 1 bunch (4-5 cups) kale, stemmed and ripped into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 small zucchini
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ear of corn
- Place kale in a strainer over the sink and pour several cups of boiling water over (this will blanch any bitterness from the kale).
- Combine kale, garlic, olive oil, parmesan cheese, almonds and lemon in a food processor and pulse well until you have a smooth paste. Salt to taste.
- Using a spiralizer, make zucchini noodles.
- Toss 1-2 Tbsp kale pesto with the noodles.
- Using a knife, slice the corn kernels off the cob and into the kale noodles. Top with tomatoes and serve.
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at email@example.com