Garlicky Kale with Raisins
As we move into cooler weather, it’s a good idea to boost your nutritional habits. Nourishing your body with healthy foods helps your immune system. Start with the nutritional powerhouse, kale. Kale is often place on the list of top 10 healthiest foods you can eat. Studies have shown its nutrients offer antioxidant support, have anti-inflammatory properties and been connected to anti-cancer nutrients.
Kale’s nutrients support the cardiovascular system by lowering cholesterol levels. It is also a powerful detoxifier in our cells. One cup contains more than 5 grams of fiber (more than a serving of oat bran cereal) with only 45 calories. It also provides the daily requirement for vitamins A and C and 134 mg of calcium.
Kale leaves, unlike spinach, are best tasting after cooking. When cooked correctly the leaves are tender and slightly sweet tasting. The following quick boiling method produces kale that is more flavorful and less bitter than steaming the greens. The sauted raisins naturally heighten the sweetness of this dish.
- 2 bunches of kale (4-6 cups, chopped)
- 2 cups water
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup raisins
- Sea Salt
- Wash kale and strip off the stalks. Discard stalks and roughly chop the kale.
- Bring water to boil in a 10-12 inch skillet, with a tight fitting lid. Add kale and cook, covered, over medium heat stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Using the same skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat in the same skillet. Add garlic and sauté for 15 seconds. Add raisins and sauté for 30- 60 seconds, stirring constantly. Raisins should be glossy and slightly puffed.
- Add greens back into the skillet and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste. Cover for a minute until the greens are heated through. Serve hot.
Source: Greens Glorious Greens, by Johanna Albi and Catherine Walthers
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at email@example.com