Fennel Soup with Spinach & Sausage
It’s starting to feel like fall y’all! Time for soup and this one is filled with veggies. The soup’s creaminess from the cauliflower, while the fennel offers a light licorice flavor. The spinach is a powerhouse food rounding out the recipe
- 1 lb sausage, casings removed
- Olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- In a large heavy pot, brown and fully cook the sausage over medium heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in the same pot, add the onion and saute until it softens. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the cauliflower, celery, fennel and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup so it’s creamy and smooth. Finally add in the paprika and black pepper. Just before serving, stir in spinach and sausage.
Source: Melissa Hartwig, The Whole 30 Fast & Easy