Valentine’s Day is next week. Have you thought of a gift for a special someone in your life? If you are looking for a homemade token of affection, may I suggest these macaroons. I love that these are not overly sweet. For someone who is eating gluten free, these Chocolate Macaroons might be one of the best gifts they’ve received. Just make sure they like coconut :) They are also a tasty treat to share with your much-appreciated running buddies, after your weekly run.
- 1 ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, coconut and cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks with a handheld mixer. Blend in the agave nectar. Fold the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of dough onto the baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each macaroon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 30 minutes, then serve.
Source: Elana Amsterdam, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at email@example.com