Chicken with Cherries & Kale
This recipe is tasty way to get more green leafy veggies into your diet. Kale truly lives up to its reputation as a superfood. Kale’s nutrient richness stands out in three areas; antioxidant richness, anti-inflammatory richness and its anti-cancer nutrients. All of our diets would be better off with more kale included.
With mustard and balsamic vinegar, it’s both tangy and sweet. Adding fruit to the main course helps make the meal a little more kid-friendly, which parents of picky eaters can appreciate.
Chicken with Cherries and Kale
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- Olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 10 oz bag frozen cherries
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch kale,center ribs removed and cut into chiffonade
- Sea salt & pepper
- With a mallet, pound the chicken breasts to ¼ inch thickness.
- Heat the olive oil, then add shallots and saute for 1 minute. Add the cherries, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until the cherries are soft and no longer frozen.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, then stir in mustard and kale. Cover and cook over low heat 4-5 minutes, until the kale is just wilted, stirring occasionally.
- In another skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken to pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until the outside is browned and the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to the pan with the kale and allow it to marinate over low heat for 2-3 minutes so the chicken absorbs some of the sauce. Serve warm.
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at email@example.com