I love stumbling upon new cookbooks and cookbook authors. This particular author I discovered after reading a Top 10 books of 2016 blog post. Erin Gleeson’s The Forest Feast Gatherings has been unavailable through interlibrary loan, but the 2014 The Forest Feast was easy enough to procure. I love how each recipe has a picture of both the finished meal and a layout of ingredients with directions overlaid. For the visual learner, this is so helpful and makes the simple vegetarian recipes seem like something you could easily pull off. Visit her blog to get a feel for the recipe style and inspiration.
This recipe highlights the simple nature of her recipes. Assuming you have a well-stocked pantry, five ingredients are all you need to make this tasty wintery salad.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup smoked mozzarella, cubed
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425. Combine squash, olive oil, salt and pepper together on a baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Combine cherry tomatoes, avocados, mozzarella and basil together. Toss in squash.
- Dress with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Source: The Forest Feast , Erin Gleeson
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org