Bacon Wrapped Dates
In her book Bread & Wine, author Shauna Niequist gushes over her love for this three-ingredient appetizer. Perhaps more importantly her guests love them too. “Perfect these little numbers and people will be happy every time you walk in to a party. It’s like holding a puppy or baby- suddenly you become irresistible, which is a great feeling, even if it’s just because you are carrying bacon.”
With company coming over for dinner recently, I thought I’d see if these dates lived up to the Shauna’s hype. However, as the guest’s arrival time drew near, I was so far from having my act together, with the ingredients still in their packaging. Instead, I opted to keep it simple and be present with our guests rather than be preoccupied with trying out a brand-new recipe. It was a win-win. I enjoyed visiting and the next day while the kitchen was empty, and I wasn’t in a rush, I made a batch of these for my family to enjoy as a pre-dinner snack. They were so yummy. Now it’s an easy decision to figure out what to bring when we go to their house.
Bacon Wrapped Dates
- 1 8 oz package pitted dates
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 16 oz package bacon
- Slice alongside one side of each date, from top to bottom, as if you were opening a tiny book.
- Scoop a small amount of goat cheese into the center of each one and close it back up.
- Cut the whole bacon of bacon in half. Wrap a half slice of bacon around the outside of each date. Arrange them seam side down on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-23 minutes until well browned and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Niequist, Shauna Bread & Wine
Aubrey Schulz is a certified nutrition and triathlon coach with Get Out N Play. She works with clients to help them reach their nutritional and athletic goals, in the kitchen, out on the road and in the water! Read below for details about her training program for the Portsmouth Half Marathon in 2018. Plus she's knowledgeable about how essential oils can boost your wellness and fitness. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org