SpeedPlay: Improve Speed and Efficiency
Don't let the name scare you. If you can complete a 2-mile run/walk (no matter the pace) and you are looking for a challenge or to change up your training, then SpeedPlay is for you!
The goal of our speed workouts is to make you faster and more efficient. Through SpeedPlay you will learn how to execute and benefit from a variety of unique track workouts and how to maintain good form when running at a harder intensity. We will also address topics like ideal race hydration, dynamic warm ups, cool downs, and body maintenance products that supplement faster workouts.
- Weekly drills and mechanics training by Nationally RRCA Certified Coaches John Zupanc and Deb Vercauteren (former UW-Oshkosh Coaches) and Coach Terry Gross (former Appleton West High School Coach)
- Coached weekly track workouts designed to improve runner threshold speed and cardiovascular efficiency
- 6 weeks of fun on a track with other local runners of all abilities!
- A BONUS hill workout at the end of the program for those interested in improving their hill training/racing.
2023 Program Details:
- In-store kick-off Wednesday, June 21, 5:00 - 6:00 PM to meet the coaches and our New Balance sponsor
- Wednesday mornings at 6:00 AM for 6 weeks
- Group workout dates: June 28, July 5, 12, 19, 26, and August 2
- BONUS WORKOUT: Hill session Wednesday, August 9 at Pierce Park, in Appleton also at 6:00 AM
- Location: Nathan Calder Stadium, Menasha High School, 1065 Racine Rd, Menasha, WI 54952
- Program Cost
- $40 | through 6/16
- $45 | 6/17 and beyond
- Weekly communications outline the upcoming workout, any special activities, and coaching tips
Register: Register Here or in store*
*yes, your $15 rewards can be applied to your registration if you sign up iin the store
Meet the Coaches:
John Zupanc and Deb Vercauteren are back for another summer with us and we are thrilled! Their truly incredible coaching accomplishments while at UW Oshkosh are overshadowed only by their fabulously energetic personalities. After they retired from UW Oshkosh in 2011, Deb and John have enjoyed the warmth of Arizona winters. It is perfect for all the outdoor activities they love to do: running, hiking, biking, pickleball, and golf. They love to be able to go for a comfortable walk outside after dinner. When back in Wisconsin over the summer and fall, they continue our outdoor activities and stay involved in the running community. Read More about Deb and John's coaching accomplishments
Terry Gross: With 30+ years of teaching and coaching experience, it's evident that Terry loves working with people! Retired from his teaching career as a Social Studies teacher at Wilson Junior High School and Appleton West High School, he continues to give back to a sport he loves!. We are thrilled he is bringing his excitement for running to our Speedplay program for the second year. His favorite part about coaching high school runners is twofold; first, watching them gain the self-confidence to challenge their boundaries and, secondly, to see them continue running as an adult.