The 2023 Marathon Training Program is an 18-week program meeting three times a week. It is designed to prepare runners for their first ever endurance event or for athletes looking for a new PR, this program can truly be adapted to anyone's needs at any level. This program will educate on endurance training principles, hydration and nutrition techniques, body awareness, pacing and running autonomy.
- Season Starts: Tuesday, June 27th, 2023 at 6:30 PM
- Season Ends: Tuesday October 24th, 2023 at 6:30pm
- Season Logistics: Mondays and Tuesdays at 6:30 PM and Saturdays at 7:00 AM (time subject to change due to heat and sunlight) at Fleet Feet Fort Wayne
- Goal Race: Monumental Marathon, October 28th, 2023
What to expect at Weeknight Workouts:
The focus of the weeknight workouts is to work on our speed and power when running. Whether you’re looking to finish your first distance race or you fastest distance race - building a speed workout into your training is important. You work different muscle groups (fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscles), build endurance in your legs and lungs, and it helps keep our workouts from getting stale. We’ll cover a variety of workouts such as Speed Repeats, Hill Repeats, Fartleks (Swedish for ‘speed play’), tempo runs, etc. We focus on pace and effort during these workouts. Below is an example workout:
Welcome/Announcements/Find your pace groups
10 min Warmup Easy Jogging
Track Ladder workout: 400m hard effort/jog 200m recovery + 800m hard effort/jog 400m recovery + 1200m hard effort/jog 400m recovery + 800m hard effort/jog 400m recovery + 400m hard effort
10 min Cooldown easy jogging
Optional Cool down stretching/core with your group
- Overall, you’ll have done ~3 miles of speed work, but with recovery included in the workout.
What to expect at Saturday Long Runs:
The Saturday Long run focus is on time on your feet. We use the long run to build up our endurance so that we can finish our distance races healthy and happy! Overall, these long runs should be at a very easy pace. We don’t want to race through the long runs because it will ultimately come to us feeling like we’ve ‘raced’ every weekend - our bodies will be tired and it increases the likelihood of injury. You can expect your Mentors to lead the way and help set the pace. These long runs are fully supported with a Key Drop at the store, turn-by-turn directions, and access to your Coaches for questions and advice.
Our groups are open to anyone! Yes, anyone. Your coaches will help give you suggested training paces once in your group! A general breakdown of our groups are as follows:
8:00 - 9:00 training pace
9:00 - 10:00 training pace
10:00 - 11:00 training pace
11:00 - 12:00 training pace
12:00 - 13:00 training pace
What is included in the program?
- Access to expert coaching and encouraging mentors
- Monday Speed Workouts at Summit Middle School Track starts at 6:30pm
- Tuesday Group Run at 6:30pm at Fleet Feet Fort Wayne Southwest 5661 Coventry Lane
- Saturday Group Long Run at 7:00 am at rotating locations Fleet Feet Fort Wayne North & Southwest
- A training plan that also includes workouts for the days you do not have a group workout
- Info sessions including but not limited to good form, foam rolling, nutrition, etc.
- Access to a closed Facebook group to interact with the other participants and coaches
- Special store discounts just for Fleet Feet Running Club members
- A Fleet Feet Running Club performance tank or t-shirt and limited edition Marathon long sleeve
Have questions? Reach out to Sara, our training program coordinator, at email@example.com