The 2021 Marathon: FAST Training Program is an 18 week program meeting three times a week. It is designed to help experienced runners meet a new performance goal. This program will educate on endurance training principles, hydration and nutrition techniques, body awareness, pacing and running autonomy. Due to the current situation, the training meeting schedule is subject to change at any time, and there is the possibility that this race could be postponed, cancelled, or transitioned into a virtual experience.
- Social distancing is highly encouraged, please maintain a distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and others outside of your own household.
- Please have a mask with you to be worn before and after the group run, especially if you plan to come into the store or use the common area.
- You must provide your own water bottle and carry your own water, we will have individually packaged water available on the long runs to refill or drink but this will not be available on every run and should not be counted on for your sole source of hydration.
- Please self monitor for symptoms and stay home if you have a temperature or any sign of illness.
- Bathroom use is limited to the public common area only.
- No communal food will be provided or available.
- Group will be broken down into smaller groups to avoid a large gathering.
- Season Starts: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 6:30 PM
- Season Logistics: Mondays and Tuesdays at 6:30 PM and Saturdays at 7:00 AM (time subject to change due to heat and sunlight) at Fleet Feet Fort Wayne
- Goal Race: Any race you choose! Our coaches will help adjust the training program to fit your needs.
What to expect at Weeknight Workouts:
The focus of the weeknight workouts is to work on our speed and power when running. Whether you’re looking to finish your first distance race or you fastest distance race - building a speed workout into your training is important. You work different muscle groups (fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscles), build endurance in your legs and lungs, and it helps keep our workouts from getting stale. We’ll cover a variety of workouts such as Speed Repeats, Hill Repeats, Fartleks (Swedish for ‘speed play’), tempo runs, etc. We focus on pace and effort during these workouts. Below is an example workout:
Welcome/Announcements/Find your pace groups
10 min Warmup Easy Jogging
30 minute tempo circuit--rotating 1/4 mile @ Half Marathon Pace, 1/4 mile @ Marathon Pace, 1/4 mile @ Easy Pace
10 min Cooldown easy jogging
Optional Cool down stretching/core with your group
- Overall, you’ll have done ~5 miles of speed work, but with recovery included in the workout.
What to expect at Saturday Long Runs:
The Saturday Long run focus is on time on your feet. We use the long run to build up our endurance so that we can finish our distance races healthy and happy! Overall, these long runs should be at a very easy pace. We don’t want to race through the long runs because it will ultimately come to us feeling like we’ve ‘raced’ every weekend - our bodies will be tired and it increases the likelihood of injury. You can expect your Mentors to lead the way and help set the pace. These long runs are fully supported with a Key Drop at the store, turn-by-turn directions, and access to your Coaches for questions and advice.
Our groups are open to anyone! Yes, anyone. Your coaches will help give you suggested training paces once in your group! A general breakdown of our groups are as follows:
- Below 7:00
- 7:00 - 8:00
- 8:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00 training pace
10:00 - 11:00 training pace
11:00 - 12:00 training pace
What is included in the program?
- Access to expert coaching and encouraging mentors
- A training plan that also includes workouts for the days you do not have a group workout
- Info sessions including but not limited to good form, foam rolling, nutrition, etc.
- Access to a closed Facebook group to interact with the other participants and coaches
- Special store discounts just for Fleet Feet Running Club members
- A Fleet Feet Running Club performance shirt or tank and a limited edition Marathon long sleeve
Have questions? Reach out to Sara, our training program coordinator, at email@example.com
Ready to run with us? Register.