5K: FINISH is a group running and walking program meeting for 8 weeks and training for the Gingerbread Pursuit 4 Mile Run, all levels of walkers and runners are welcome! This is an 8-week program for both beginners and experienced runners. The group will provide motivation to help you cross the finish line on December 11, 2021. You'll receive a training program, 2 group workouts per week, and motivation from our coaches and other members like you.
The program meets twice a week during the training period, Thursday evenings at 6:30 pm and Saturday mornings at 8 am. The workouts will last about an hour to an hour and a half as we increase mileage throughout the season. Due to the current situation, the training meeting schedule is subject to change at any time, and there is the possibility that this race could be postponed, canceled, or transitioned into a virtual experience.
- Season Starts: Thursday, October 21, 2021, at 6:30 PM
- Season Logistics: Thursdays at 6:30 PM and Saturdays at 8:00 AM at Fleet Feet Fort Wayne
- Goal Race: Gingerbread Pursuit 4 Miler, December 11, 2021
What to expect at our Workouts:
Each week will have a slightly different focus - breathing, form, nutrition, etc. Below is an example workout and how our weekly topics are discussed during the training:
- Weekly Topic (Mini-Form Clinic, Nutrition Sampling, Product Demonstration, etc.)
- Find your pace groups
- Group Dynamic Warmup
- Prescribed route for the day - you'll have turn by turn directions if necessary and mentors leading your group
- Optional Cool down stretching with your group
Run/Walk Interval Running:
There are many benefits to using a run/walk method in your training. We encourage beginning runners to start using a Run/Walk interval in our Beginner 5K training programs - it's a great way to get started. But using a Run/Walk interval is not just for beginners - it’s an excellent tool to help you build endurance and help you cross the finish line of your next race. Some of the benefits include:
- Decreased chance of injury. The run-walk method causes less wear and tear on the body, decreasing the chance of injuries. Continuous use of muscle will result in fatigue much quicker. This method will allow a runner to go farther and/or longer before fatigue sets in.
- Quicker recovery. With less wear and tear on the body also come quicker recovery after a run.
- Breaks up distances into manageable units. Running is as much mental as it is physical – especially when you get into the distance races. Using the run-walk intervals will help with those long distances. Running 3 miles just seems impossible. But breaking it down by running for a set number of minutes, it’s much more manageable.
- Motivating for new runners. This method allows just about anyone to run any race they want. It doesn’t matter your age, weight, gender, or physical ability. You can be a runner. As you start off slow, you can work your way up to running for a longer amount of time and having fewer walk breaks.
What is included in the program?
- Access to expert coaching and encouraging mentors
- A training plan that also includes workouts for the days you do not have a group workout
- Weekly newsletters going over the week's workouts and focus
- Info sessions including but not limited to good form, foam rolling, nutrition, etc.
- Access to a closed Facebook group to interact with the other participants and coaches
- Special store discounts just for Fleet Feet Running Club members
- A Fleet Feet Running Club shirt
Have questions? Reach out to Sara, our training program coordinator, at email@example.com
Ready to run with us? Register.