Marketing/Events Director Description
Start date: Open
Fleet Feet Des Moines is a nationally franchised specialty running store, locally owned by Kathy and Andy Roat. We get and keep people of all sizes, shapes, and ages moving - treating everyone with World Class Customer service, and have fun doing it! We are a welcoming resource for all, an important part of the Des Moines community.
Apparel is a key focus to Fleet Feet Des Moines. We are consistently in the top 25% of all locally owned Fleet Feet stores in apparel sales. We are looking a full-time Apparel and Store Merchandising Leader to grow our apparel sales even more!
MARKETING COORDINATOR: EVENTS/PROGRAMS
REPORTS TO: Reail Experience Manager
TYPE: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, 37-40 hours/week; time split approximately in half between Marketing functions, and Team Inspiration functions
BENEFITS OF JOINING OUR TEAM:
- Fun work environment – we’re helping people with what they love and enjoy
- Weekly, monthly, and quarterly bonuses
- Company funded IRA
- Personal Time Off
- Long-term disability
- Health-insurance stipend available
- Store discount for you and your immediate family
Will you like it here? Test yourself on these essentials:
All Team Members --
Are encouragers of others and enjoy walking, running or physical movement. We inspire by example. Fleet Feet Sports Des Moines is all about helping people get moving better, faster and/or more comfortably. You've got to love it for customers to catch enthusiasm!
Are available on evenings and at least 2-3 Saturdays per month. In this business, evenings and Saturdays are a KEY TIME when many of our customers shop and stop by the store for one of our many fun runs and activities. It is critical to our continued success that our employees be flexible and comfortable working a variety of shifts, including evenings and Saturdays. We are closed Sundays.
Approximately 50% Marketing Functions
Be an unabashed ambassador for Fleet Feet Des Moines (FFDM) inside and outside the store, helping to create, develop and execute events and promotions to introduce people to the store, grow the customer base and sales. Creative team member excelling in communication, and management of many details.
Approximately 50% Team Inspiration Functions
Our team members are fun and enthusiastic! They get a kick out of inspiring others with a warm welcome, and customer-focused listening to learn just which of our products will make the customer's life and fitness experience great. Team Inspiration Members enjoy learning product details which creates the distinction between OK and our world class customer experience. We care about and are active in the community.
Amazing Customer Experience
- Help create, lead and execute engaging, traffic-drawing and sales-driving events and promotions
- Plan and coordinate all event details so events go smoothly
- Demonstrate an outgoing personality, engaging and interacting with guests and participants
- Coordinate videos and pictures of FFDM community at store events; posting on current appropriate social media
- Coordinate vendor tie-in and promotional support with FFDM buyers
- Speak to groups large and small on a variety of topics, primarily inside the store
- Provide great visibility and high interpersonal interaction for FFDM at events inside and outside the store
- Ensure Fleet Feet Sports positive image in the community
- Develop, maintain, and implement events and program strategies to meet and exceed store sales goals
- Work with Retail Experience Manager and key buyers to coordinate events, sales opportunities and desired outcomes with great internal and external communication
- Create, design and distribute promotional, sales and marketing materials
- Utilizing appropriate digital assets including: Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Canva
- Responsible for all aspects of our two races: Santa Run in December, Frozen Frolic in February
- Collaborate on public relations efforts to promote FFDM events to media and various communications channels, maximizing use of free media support
- Work with owner on determining and allocation of marketing budget
- Coordinate social media efforts to ensure a positive image on all digital platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Web, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Canva
- Ability to identify and utilize the benefits of various current and cutting edge media channels
- Manage databases of key market segments: medical, high schools, corporate, gyms
Budgeting and Management:
- Management of FFDM marketing & events schedule internally and externally
- Collaborate with buyers (apparel, essentials, shoes) to ensure key seasonal stories are being told inside and outside the store
- Management of our Training Groups - increasing enrollment and tracking participation.
- Responsible for increasing and managing Fleet Feet Race Team participation
- Management of race partnerships – you are the key contact with Race Directors
Essential Functions--Team Inspiration
- Demonstrate comfort (even passion and excitement) about suggesting items people might enjoy. Our customers appreciate learning about our products…from shoe technology to the importance of carrying a hydration pack.
- When customer traffic slows, you will find yourself busy with stocking, cleaning, training and more.
- When somebody walks in the door, your focus has to switch 100% to friendly customer service, even if you are behind in your other tasks.
Stay calm and friendly under pressure?
- Imagine providing superior customer care to 2 guests at the same time (with your other team members doing the same) while 5 more guests are waiting.
- Exceed expectations. They all want the same level of attention and care, they want it in a timely fashion and they want you to be friendly and appreciative. Things can get very busy here and there is always other work to be done.
- Expect a fast pace
Play like a team.
- Fleet Feet Sports is like a family and we work closely with each other, sometimes under stress. And no matter what’s going on in your week, your team members will be counting on you to be here 100% when your shift starts. We all depend on each other and support each other.
- You are depended on to be respectful and patient, and pull your own weight when it comes to customers and other work that has to get done.
- Trust is a must.
Ongoing, willing learner with imitative
- People know us as the FIT experts. “FIT” does not just refer to shoes but all of our products and our service. You’ll invest time to get educated about all of our products, so that you can deliver the World Class Customer Service our guests seek us out for.
- We’ll help you, but it will be up to you to ask questions and take the time to learn and remember things.
Pay attention to the little things?
- It’s the thoughtful little touches that make a “specialty” store so special, like remembering a frequent guests’ name or what type of shoe they run in.
- Going an extra mile for a guest by staying open late or rush shipping them a pair of socks before a big race is what sets us apart. Fun little extras go a long way and make your job worth the effort. We encourage our team members to be creative to think of ways to make a customers visit truly special, memorable and wow! We want to provide World Class Customer service every time.
Eager to serve people? Patient?
- We expect team members to take a friendly attitude towards customers-to smile and greet them as soon as they walk in, to make conversation with all kinds of people, to serve their needs, to take time and care for them. If you feel shy or awkward about talking with strangers or if you are not willing to serve guests (including touching their feet) you might not like it here.
- You may spend more than an hour with an individual guest
Can you count money accurately? Accurately complete each sale, including counting change, so customers and the company are getting what they expect. No surprises!
Are you comfortable with a computer, keyboard and mouse?
- Our cash registers and inventory are computer-based. Nothing fancy, but you must be comfortable learning to use our programs.
Do you speak well, using good business grammar, like you hear or see on the news? It builds credibility with customers, and ensures our space is healthy for all ears to hear!
Look your best and represent the store and its products well
- Apparel will be business casual pants and a store logo top or store apparel.
- We provide two shirts or tops, and offer discounts after 90 days for the balance.
- Professional, wholesome appearance and grooming
Equal greatness in the stockroom
- To keep this fun and profitable, team members need to be able to find products quickly, so that means checking in and marking inventory accurately, steaming it, putting it where it belongs the first time and every time after, and keeping things picked up. That includes trash and recycling in their respective bins
- Event management experience
- Enjoyment of running or walking
- Proficient in: Word, Excel, Facebook, Canva, Instagram
- Ability to manage many details
- Associates or Bachelors Degree
- Community involvement
Repeatedly and regularly:
- See and describe details up to 20 feet away
- Walk, sit, bend, crouch low, stoop
- Maneuver hands and fingers, pull and push, reach (forward, above shoulders and below knees)
- Lift 5 lbs. all day, 15-30 pounds for part of the day, and 30-50 pounds occasionally (could be with a partner)
- Type at a keyboard regularly and operate a laptop computer and iPad
- Some positions with coaching responsibilities may require the ability to run a particular distance
- High School Diploma or GED/HiSet
- Read and follow instructions and labels in English
- Retain recall of numbers and letters for several minutes
- Ability and willingness to follow safe practices
Want to Join our Fleet?
Review http://www.fleetfeetdesmoines.com/about/employment. Email your Resume to Kathy@fleetfeetdesmoines.com. Be sure to reference this job and in a cover letter tell us why you’d be a great fit with our team.