Running and Walking in Heat & Humidity
Fit For Life Physical Therapy
Summer is upon us. The dog days of the year. Let’s work together to get ready for the heat and humidity of each workout, especially those long runs on Saturdays. This and every week, the Fleet Feet + FrontRunner team will have ample water available at our usual stops along the trail. However, there are a few other tips for you to consider regarding this week’s training:
- Hydrate appropriately. We usually hear people say that they drink when they’re thirsty and that is a pretty good rule of thumb. But, you’ll also be losing a lot of salt with your sweat, so make sure you take in some electrolytes whether that is with a sports drink, gel, or block.
- It’s OK to slow down if you must. Humidity makes it very difficult for sweat to evaporate from your skin, which is one of the primary mechanisms that helps keep your body cool. When it’s humid, and you might not be cooling as you normally would on a 50° day with low humidity, don’t be bashful about slowing down a few seconds per mile.
- Dress appropriately including high tech sweat wicking fabrics, sunglasses, visor, etc.
- Time your training runs appropriately. If you can get out early in the morning, great. Our Saturday run and walk will take place as soon as the sun rises, and we will try to have you off the trail as early as possible.
- If you have to run by yourself this weekend, please run in familiar loops so you can return home as soon as possible. This weekend is not the best time to try a new out-and-back course that would have you 9 miles from home looking for an Uber car.
- Finally, be smart about your training. If you’re running with our group, please listen to your coach. If you’re training by yourself, please make good decisions and consult with us if you have any questions.
Fit For Life Physical Therapy cares for people of all activity levels - to help prevent, recover from, or rehabilitate sports & orthopedic injuries. We are proud to move people every day.
Please visit our website https://www.fitforlifephysicaltherapy.com/, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call or text us at any of the phone numbers for our three convenient locations inside Fleet Feet/FrontRunner stores:
Polaris: 1270 East Powell Road Lewis Center, Ohio 43035 ~ 614-981-2065
Upper Arlington: 1344 West Lane Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43221 ~ 614-981-1979
New Albany: 5792 North Hamilton Road, Columbus, Ohio 43230 ~ 614-581-7441