MIT Medical Team Overview
Sean Huffman MS, ATC, PT
Fit For Life Physical Therapy
Thank you for joining Marathoner In Training! We are excited to collaborate with you during the Summer/Fall 2023 session as you prepare to walk or run your Fall race.
We are excited to introduce you to the expert medical team available to you every day for the next 20 weeks. Please say hello to our concierge medical team, comprised of runners/walkers treating runners/walkers!
- Our medical director is Dr. Darrin Bright, a primary care sports medicine physician and former MIT Coach. Darrin has paced and raced scores of marathons and has also been the medical director for the Columbus Marathon, plus Cap City & Emerald City Half Marathons. A substantial portion of his practice is dedicated to treating runners and walkers just like you.
- Sean Huffman is the Medical Resources Director for MIT. He arranges our newsletter medical education content and is an MIT coach. Sean is the owner of Fit For Life Physical Therapy, Fleet Feet Columbus & MIT’s in-house sports medicine partner. Their team of clinicians – Joe Simko, Laura Comtois, Chris Lawson, Chelsea Hall, Amanda Coleman, and Blake Preece – are runners, walkers, cyclists, and swimmers themselves who will help keep you moving.
- Amy Harrison is our lead athletic trainer and an MIT Pace Coach. After our Saturday workouts, Amy will help assess urgent runner & walker issues. Amy is also our resource to help you arrange a VO2Max test or CPR certification.
- Our Registered & Licensed Dietitian is Rebecca Youngs. Rebecca is an avid marathoner, loves to work out, and has specialized her practice in gastrointestinal health, as well as sports nutrition and fueling athletes of all levels. She contributes regular content and “Recipes with Rebecca” to our MIT Newsletters and is available for individual consultations at Fit For Life Physical Therapy or through zoom video conference.
This group, and many others, will provide weekly entries to the MIT Newsletter. These notes should help inform you on the latest in walking and running medicine.
There are several ways for you to contact us if you have questions about your health:
- First, call or text Sean at 614-432–6401. He will help steer you in the right direction based on your concerns.
- Second, click on the MIT Newsletter’s link labeled “Dealing With Injury” and complete the Google form regarding your ache or pain. It will be routed to the appropriate person who will contact you.
- Third, contact Fit For Life Physical Therapy for a Free Runner/Walker Injury Screen at our Lane Avenue, Polaris, or Hamilton Quarter locations. They will provide a quick 10-minute injury screening for MIT participants. The Fit For Life clinicians will review your symptoms, answer your questions, and assist you with advice for your next steps on the road to recovery. To schedule, please stop by or contact them at 614–981–1979.
Of course, we hope that you do not need any medical attention during the coming months, but please rest assured that, if you do, you will be well cared for.
Thanks again for joining MIT,
Michael Sean Huffman MS, ATC, PT
Fit For Life Physical Therapy
MIT Operations & Medical Resources Coach