Our Beginner 5K FINISH program focuses on beginners, but all levels of walkers and runners are welcome. The program is structured to help you cross the finish line of your first race in just 8 weeks! It can also help existing runners meet new performance goals. Along the way we’ll provide you with motivation to keep you moving, guidance and advice, weekly group training runs or walks, and educational clinics on topics such as proper nutrition, choosing the right gear, and avoiding injury. Plus, you’ll have the camaraderie of others just like you!
The Program meets three times a week during the training period, Tuesday evenings at 6:30 pm, Thursday evenings at 6:30 pm, and Saturday mornings at 7:00 am. The workouts will last about an hour to an hour and a half as we increase mileage throughout the season. This program will include training for The Big Run 5K on Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020. We'll have an Information Session at Fleet Feet Forest Acres on Saturday, April 4th at 9:00 am - meet your coaches, mentors, and learn more about the program!
- Information Session: Saturday, April 4th at 9:00 am at Fleet Feet Forest Acres
- Season Starts: Tuesday, April 7th at 6:30 pm
- Season Logistics: Tuesdays at 6:30 pm TBD, Thursdays at 6:30 pm in Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park, and Saturday Mornings at 7:00 am from the store
- Goal Race: The Big Run on Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020
More Program Information:
We find lots of great places to run and walk in our community - on bike paths, areas with sidewalks, etc. Occasionally, we’ll hold a workout at a local track to mix up our workouts. All location information will be shared with you each week in our Program Newsletters, on our private Facebook group, and the Fleet Feet Rewards App. The workouts will last about an hour to an hour and a half as we increase mileage throughout the season. In addition to the workouts there are educational clinics, motivational speakers, nutrition tips and expert coaching/mentoring to help inspire and motivate you on this training journey.
What to expect at our Workouts:
Each week will have a slightly different focus - breathing, form, nutrition, etc. Below is an example workout and how our weekly topics are discussed during the training:
- Weekly Topic (Mini-Form Clinic, Nutrition Sampling, Product Demonstration, etc.)
- Find your pace groups
- Group Dynamic Warmup
- Prescribed route for the day - you'll have turn by turn directions if necessary and mentors leading your group
- Optional Cool down stretching with your group
- Sometimes we'll hold a clinic following the workout, if we don't do it before.