Join Fleet Feet Carrboro & Durham for a 5K Running and Walking Program! We will offer three programs throughout 2020 that are geared towards getting you moving and across the finish line of a 5K race. These programs are open to all experience levels, all paces, and all ages!
Fleet Feet Carrboro & Durham strive to make running accessible and fun for everyone, no matter your pace or experience level. We want to meet you where you are in your fitness journey - whether that's picking up running after taking some time off or taking your first steps as a runner. In each of our running groups we surround you with knowledgeable Coaches and Mentors who are with you every step of the way. We never rush the process and instead help make sure you build your endurance in a safe and incremental way. We equip you with a training plan, weekly tips and advice, and offer multiple group workouts each week to make sure that you are able to accomplish your goals! Come out and join us for a workout, you'll be sure to find your "happy pace" and new running and walking friends for life!
2020 5K Running & Walking Programs
- Beginner 5K + 4 Mile Training Program - February 11th through April 18th
- The Big Run 5K Training Program - April 21st through June 3rd
- Fall 5K Training Program - October through December, dates TBD
Our 5K programs focus on beginners, but all levels of walkers and runners are welcome. The programs are structured to help you cross the finish line of your first race in 8-12 weeks! We can also help existing runners meet new performance goals. We offer a few different sub-groups within the program, here are some of the groups you can expect with each program:
- All Walking Group: this is the perfect group if you are interested in getting moving, have zero-interest in running (yet!), fall into the "if I'm running, something is chasing me" category, and/or have never participated in a fitness group before. This group tends to have the most fun!
- Run/Walk Interval Group: the run/walk method helps beginners achieve their goals. The benefits to run/walk are many, but the highlights include building endurance, decreasing the risk of injury breaking up the workouts into manageable parts. See below for more benefits of interval running.
- All Running Group: open to all paces! This group focuses on continuous running and builds endurance as the season progresses.
We offer two weeknight workouts, one out of our Fleet Feet Carrboro Store and one out of our Fleet Feet Durham store, as well as a Saturday morning workout that alternates between the two stores. Most of our participants pick one weeknight workout and the Saturday workout to attend, although you are more than welcome to join us at all three workouts. This gives you an incredibly supportive and social group to keep you accountable and motivated when you just aren't feeling it (we've all been there!). You will also receive a weekly email with training tips, a training plan and location information for each workouts. We cover many different topics over the course of the season that will leave you feeling more confident and prepared to tackle your running and walking goals. Some topics include:
- Gear needed for your first 5K
- Injury prevention
- Proper hydration & fueling for 5K training
- Warm-up and cool-down exercises
- How to dress for different types of weather
- Goal-setting and preparing for "What's Next?"
Run/Walk Interval Running
There are many benefits to using a run/walk method in your training. We encourage beginning runners to use a run/walk interval in our Beginner training programs. But un/walk intervals are not just for beginners - they’re an excellent tool to help you build endurance and help you cross the finish line of your next race. Benefits include:
- Decreased chance of injury. The run/walk method causes less wear and tear on the body, decreasing the chance of injuries. Continuous use of muscle will result in fatigue much quicker. This method allows a runner to go farther and/or longer before fatigue sets in.
- Quicker recovery. With less wear and tear on the body, you’re more likely to recover faster.
- Breaks up distances into manageable units. Running is as much mental as it is physical. Using run/walk intervals makes running 3 miles possible!
- Motivating for new runners. This method allows just about anyone to run any race they want. It doesn’t matter your age, weight, gender, or physical ability. You start out with longer walking intervals and work your way up to running for a longer amount of time ewer walk breaks. YOU can be a runner!
Our Favorite Local 5Ks
- Public School Foundation 5K for Education - March 7th, 2020
- The Great Human Race 5K - March 28th, 2020 *We will be training for this race in our Beginner 5K + 4 Mile Training Program*
- Girls on the Run Spring 5K - April 28th, 2020
- The Big Run 5K - June 3rd, 2020 *We will be training for this race in our The Big Run 5K Training Program*
- Historic Hillsborough 5K - October 4th, 2020
Check out more of our area races on our Area Races page!