If you are new to the area and you are looking for a place to run and swim, here are some suggestions for workout places you can check out!
- Augusta Canal - The "Canal" is the ideal place for running. The path is beautifully located in between The Augusta Canal and The Savannah River. The path is gravel, flat, and every half mile is marked so you know exactly how far you are going. This is also an ideal place to take a stroll, have a picnic, take in the scenery and to look at historical structures. Link: http://www.augustacanal.com/
- North Augusta Greeneway - The Greeneway is a 7 mile paved trail that follows along an abandoned railway line. This path goes through the city, neighborhoods and the Savannah riverbank. This path is slightly more hilly than the Augusta Canal. Link: www.friendsofthegreeneway.org
Phinizy Swamp Nature Park - is FREE and open to the public 365 days a year from dawn until dusk. Located on 1100 acres with 14 miles of biking and hiking trails, and just minutes from downtown Augusta, Phinizy Swamp Nature Park offers visitors the chance to see a variety of wildlife in their natural setting. Please ask us for our 5K and 10K running route. www.phinizycenter.org
- FATS (Fork Area Trail System) - One of the more popular trails for running and biking. FATS is a system of trails that range from 5 - 8 miles in length and range in difficulty from beginner to intermediate. A great trail system if you want to run in the wilderness Link: http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/alltrails/MountainBike/FATS.html
- Blanchard Woods Park - This trail is the official home track for the Augusta State University Cross Country team! The length of this trail is 5K and has plenty of hills! Blanchard Woods also offers soccer fields and a soccer stadium. Link: http://www.columbiacountyga.gov/Index.aspx?page=4147
- Hitchcock Woods - This is a system of trails in Aiken, SC. Beyond trail running you can enjoy events and learn the history of this trail system. Link: http://www.hitchcockwoods.org/
- Hickory Knobb State Park - This is a system of trails in McCormick, SC. Enjoy running around Strom Thurmond Reservoir, stop at a restaurant, or play a round of golf. Campgrounds are also available! Link: http://southcarolinaparks.com/hickoryknob/introduction.aspx
- Bartram Trail - This scenic trail runs from the West Dam Recreational Area through Lake Springs, Petersburg, and Wildwood Park and ends at Washington Rd. The terrain ranges from beginner to intermediate, and the path wraps beautifully along the waterside of J. Strom Thurmond Lake. It also includes the Lake Springs Loop, a 2.5 mile horseshoe off the main trail, with a little more climbing and technical challenge.
Accessible at many recreational points including: Petersburg Campground (3998 Petersburg Rd. Appling, GA 30802) Link: sorbacsra.org/Trails/Bartram.htm
- Lake Strom Thurmond/Clarks Hill Lake - This is a 70,000 acre Dam up that you are welcome to swim at. You can also enjoy boating, hiking, fishing as well as beach access. Link: http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71090
- Augusta Aquatic Center - This is an indoor facility where you can enjoy swimming laps, diving, or join a swimming class. Link: http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?NID=391