These quinoa breakfast cups are delicious and filling—each one is dense, so it only takes one (or, ok, maybe two) to satisfy morning hunger. You can eat them like a muffin, or break one up in a little bit of warm almond milk and eat it like oatmeal (I did this one morning and loved it!).
Make a batch and eat them all week for breakfast or as a post-workout snack. They’re definitely best warm, but can also be eaten cold on the go
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1 banana for slicing
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (about ½ cup dry)
- 2 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin (I use olive oil).
- Cook the quinoa. Bring ¾ up water to a boil, pour in ½ cup dry quinoa, reduce to a simmer until fluffy—about 12 minutes.
- Mix applesauce, mashed banana, almond milk, honey and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients (quinoa, oats, cinnamon) in a separate bowl. Slowly stir the wet into the dry until fully combined.
- Peel core and chop up an apple. Mix the apple chunks into the bowl.
- Fill each of the muffin cups to the top with the quinoa mixture. Add a banana slice or two to the top of each.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy one warm!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat leftovers in the microwave before eating. You can also add some crushed pecans or walnuts to these--experiment!