SUMMER ROCK RUNNERS
If you are looking to learn how to run, run/hike, or hike on a variety of our local trails, Rock Runners is for you. We take full advantage of our local trails within Santa Cruz County. While it is helpful that you have been on trails before, it is not required. We do recommend the use of trail running shoes. Over the course of 8 weeks, you will have 8 supported and coached trail runs or hikes, gradually increasing in distance and difficulty. In addition, you will also have a weekly Tuesday strength and speed session.
Do you have questions about Rock Runners? Come and join us for the In Person Launch Event on Thursday June 2nd, 6:00 pm at Fleet Feet Aptos. Details can be found below. You can also email our training program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fleet Feet coaches will lead you through two key workouts per week, based out of Fleet Feet Aptos and the Aptos High School Track.
- Tuesday Group Strength & Speed Workouts: fully coached workout geared towards increasing aerobic fitness and strength.
- Saturday Long Workout: Gradually increase your mileage each week with guidance from your coach. It’s all about time on your feet on the trails.
- A day-by-day training plan with workouts for running/walking and recovery, which will keep you moving on the days in between.
- Educational clinics will be in person and/or virtual. These will be recorded and will be accessible at any time during your training.
- We understand the connection with our community, we will have a private Facebook group page for you to connect with others. We love seeing your training photos!
- You will also have access to a private Strava club created just for your training group.
- Did we mention store discounts, swag, training tee, raffles, product/shoe demos and community camaraderie?
- Launch Event: Thur June 2nd, 6 pm, Fleet Feet Aptos
- When: Sat June 4th to Sat July 23rd, 8 weeks
- Where: Fleet Feet Aptos is our home base, but we'll be meeting and hiking/running the trails at various parks in Santa Cruz county. We will be heading into Nisene Marks, Wilder Ranch, Fall Creek, Pogonip, Mt. Madonna, etc. Some parks do require a parking fee. If you have a State Parks pass, bring it along. If not, bring cash for payment at the kiosks.
- Who: Because of the "wild" nature of this training, there are a few prerequisites for joining the program
- Injury free and able to run/hike continuously for 3-4 miles on single track trails and HILLS
- Practical application and understanding of fueling and hydration (must carry HYDRATION and FUEL on ALL hikes/runs. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, Fleet Feet Aptos will be unable to provide hydration or fuel)
- *** See "Required Activity Level" below for additional details
- Meet Up Dates: Tuesdays at 6 pm and Saturdays at 8 am
- Race: Crystal Springs Trail Run July 30th. Cost of training does not include Race Registration
- Cost: $125 (does not include race registration or processing fees). REGISTER HERE.
- Fun Stuff: Training tee, raffles, product/shoe demos and community camaraderie!
REQUIRED ACTIVITY LEVEL:
- Amanita Group: 10-12 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (9 - 10 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a running trail pace of 10 - 12 minutes per mile for 5+ miles.
- Bolete Group: 12-14 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (10 - 11 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a running/hiking trail pace between 12 - 14 minutes per mile for 5+ miles running or run/walk intervals. *Please Note: This group will be training by time rather than mileage in order to finish near the other groups.
- Chanterelle Group: 14 and up Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (12 + min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a trail pace between 14 and up minute per mile, runner or run/hiker or hiker for 5+ miles. *Please Note: This group will be training by time rather than mileage in order to finish near the other groups.
We reserve the right to move trainees to an alternate pace group if necessary.
Due to Covid-19, we are making a few adjustments to our in person training program. We will be following local protocol regarding social distancing.
*** IF YOU ARE FEELING UNWELL (have a cough, headache, runny nose, etc) WE ASK THAT YOU PLEASE STAY HOME.
*** Masks or Neck Gaiters (folded or doubled up) must be carried at all times and used when necessary, according to current county protocol.
*** Due to Covid-19, Fleet Feet Aptos is unable to provide hydration or fuel. Trainees must carry their own fuel/hydration during the workouts.
*** No refunds after the first workout. No exceptions. Thank you for your understanding.
*** In the event of restrictions getting tightened, Fleet Feet Aptos will act accordingly to the current county requirements and make necessary adjustments to the training program, which may include transitioning into a Virtual Training program.
*** No children under the age of 18 unless accompanied by their guardian.
*** Please note, due to liability and safety concerns, we cannot allow dogs or strollers at Fleet Feet Training workouts.
*** The use of earbuds is discouraged, your coaches must be able to communicate with you at all times during training.
Any questions, please contact Training Coordinator Charissa Strickland at email@example.com