Rock Runners Fall 2019
It’s different on dirt! If you are looking to learn how to run, run/hike, or hike on a variety of trails, want to meet new trail running/hiking friends, and prepare for the Summit Rock Races on December 14, 2019, then check out our Rock Runners Trail Program. Over the course of 10 weeks, we will have 10 supported, coached trail runs or hikes increasing in distance and difficulty. Our Coaches and Mentors will help you safely train for trails and the Summit Rock Races, which has 5K, 10K and Half Marathon options. We will be taking advantage of our local trails within Santa Cruz county. While it is helpful that you have been on trails before, it is not required. Please NOTE: Group C and D will be training by time rather than distance. See below.
- When: Saturdays, October 5 – December 7, 2019
- Launch Event: Wed October 2, 6:30 pm - 7:00 pm
- Where: Fleet Feet Aptos (but we'll be running the trails in Nisene Marks and other local trails such as Wilder, Fall Creek, Pogonip, Mt. Madonna, etc. Carpooling is available, if you have a State Parks pass, this is helpful)
- Who: Because of the "wild" nature of this training, there are a few prerequisites for joining the program:
1. Currently running or hiking 4 - 5 days/wk. and a minimum of 45 - 50 minutes per run/hike
2. Injury free and able to run/hike continuously for 3-4 miles on single track trails
3. Practical application and understanding of fueling, hydration and stretching (must carry hydration vessel on all runs)
*** See "Required Activity Level" below for additional details.
- Meet Up Days: Saturdays at 8 am
- Race: SUMMIT ROCK RACES Saturday December 14, 2019. There are lots of options for race distances, 5K, 10K and 13.1 miles. Make sure to sign up for the appropriate distance, depending on your max mileage that you trained for.
Early Bird Registration 9/1 – 9/15: $130
Regular price after 9/15: $150
- 10 supported Saturday morning trail runs (4 different pace groups)
- Experienced coaching at all group workouts
- Fleet Feet Running Club Tee
- Exclusive shopping specials on trail footwear and essentials
- Energy Replacement Drinks and Water during workouts
- Weekly Training Newsletter with trail running specific content
- Education on Proper Trail Running Technique, Fueling, Stretching, and More - it's differenton dirt!
Required Activity Level:
- Group A: 10-11 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (9 - 10 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a running trail pace of 10 - 11 minutes per mile for 5+ miles.
- Group B: 11-12 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (10 - 11 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a running trail pace between 11 - 12 minutes per mile for 5+ miles running or run/walk intervals.
- Group C: 12-13 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (11 - 12 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a trail pace between 12 - 13 minute per mile, runner or run/hiker for 5+ miles. *Please Note: This group will be training by time rather than mileage in order to finish near the other groups.
- Group D: 14 Minute Per Mile and Above Trail Pace Group (13 min/mile and above on the road)
This group is for you if are a 14 minute per mile and above trail hiker for 3+ miles. *Please Note: This group will be training by time rather than mileage in order to finish near the other groups.
- We reserve the right to move trainees to an alternate pace group if necessary.
*** No refunds after first workout on Saturday October 5th and no exchanges or transfers at any time. No exceptions. Thank you for your understanding. ***
*** Please note, due to liability and safety concerns, we cannot allow dogs or strollers at Fleet Feet Training workouts. The use of earbuds is not advisable, your coaches must be able to communicate with you at all times on the trails. ***