Rock Runners Spring 2021
Due to Covid-19, we are making a few adjustments to our training program in order for you to get out and enjoy our local trails in a safe and healthy manner. The goal will still be the same. If you are looking to learn how to run, run/hike, or hike on a variety of our local trails, Rock Runners is for you. Over the course of 10 weeks, you will have 10 supported, coached trail runs or hikes, gradually increasing in distance and difficulty. We will be taking advantage of our local trails within Santa Cruz County. While it is helpful that you have been on trails before, it is not required. We recommend the use of trail running shoes.
Rock Runners training program will be following local protocol regarding social distancing. Within the pace groups, we will have sub-groups of no more than 4-5 per coach. These groups will have staggered departure times from the trail head, to allow for proper social distancing. Neck gaiters or masks must carried by trainees at all times and be used when proper social distancing of 6 feet is not feasible during your training. In addition, to avoid overcrowding on the trails, we may have pace groups at different locations. We also ask that if you are feeling unwell, to please stay at home. Educational clinics will be virtual. These will be recorded and will be accessible at any time during your training. We understand the connection with our community, we will have a private Facebook group page for you to connect with others and post photos on. We love seeing your trail finds and selfies.
In the event that a Shelter in Place is formally instituted again during our training period, we will put our training on hold until it is lifted. We are hopeful that we will be able to do all 10 weeks but during these uncertain times, we must be prepared for other circumstances. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
We will have a Virtual Launch Event on Wednesday March 24th at 6:30 pm, Details can be found below.
- When: Saturdays only, March 27th - May 29th
- Launch Event: Wednesday March 24th, 6:30 pm - 7:00 pm, virtually on the private Facebook Rock Runners page or Google Meet/Zoom.
- Where: Fleet Feet Aptos (but we'll be meeting and hiking/running the trails in Nisene Marks and other local trails such as Wilder, Fall Creek, Pogonip, Mt. Madonna, etc. Some parks do require a parking fee. If you have a State Parks pass, bring it along. If not, bring cash for payment at the kiosks. Carpooling is discouraged unless you belong in the same household)
- Who: Because of the "wild" nature of this training, there are a few prerequisites for joining the program:
- Currently running or hiking 3 - 4 days/wk. and a minimum of 45 - 50 minutes per run/hike
- Injury free and able to run/hike continuously for 3-4 miles on single track trails and HILLS
- Practical application and understanding of fueling and hydration (must carry HYDRATION and FUEL on ALL hikes/runs. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, Fleet Feet Aptos will be unable to provide hydration or fuel)
- *** See "Required Activity Level" below for additional details.
- Meet Up Days: Saturdays at 8 am
- Cost: $150 for 10 weeks
- Fleet Feet running club tee, unisex sizing
- Exclusive shopping specials on trail footwear and other essentials for the entire training session, March 24th - April 24th
- Weekly Training information on Captyn platform
- Education on Trail Running basics, Hydration and Fueling, Recovery and More - it's different on dirt!
- Private Facebook Group Community page specifically dedicated to Rock Runners
Required Activity Level:
- Group A: 10-11 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (9 - 10 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a running trail pace of 10 - 11 minutes per mile for 5+ miles.
- Group B: 11-12 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (10 - 11 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a running trail pace between 11 - 12 minutes per mile for 5+ miles running or run/walk intervals.
- Group C: 12-13 Minute Per Mile Trail Pace Group (11 - 12 min/mile on road)
This group is for you if you can keep a trail pace between 12 - 13 minute per mile, runner or run/hiker for 5+ miles. *Please Note: This group will be training by time rather than mileage in order to finish near the other groups.
- Group D: 14 Minute Per Mile and Above Trail Pace Group (13 min/mile and above on the road)
This group is for you if are a 14 minute per mile and above trail hiker for 3+ miles. *Please Note: This group will be training by time rather than mileage in order to finish near the other groups.
- We reserve the right to move trainees to an alternate pace group if necessary.
*** IF YOU ARE FEELING UNWELL (have a cough, headache, runny nose, etc) WE ASK THAT YOU PLEASE STAY HOME.
*** Masks or Neck Gaiters (folded or doubled up) must be carried at all times and used when unable to social distance properly (less than 6 feet).
*** Due to Covid-19, Fleet Feet Aptos is unable to provide hydration or fuel. Trainee must carry their own during the workouts.
*** No refunds after the first workout and no exchanges or transfers at any time. No exceptions. Thank you for your understanding.
*** No children under the age of 18.
*** Please note, due to liability and safety concerns, we cannot allow dogs or strollers at Fleet Feet Training workouts.
*** The use of earbuds is prohibited, your coaches must be able to communicate with you at all times on the trails.