Since 2009, Black Girls RUN! (BGR!) has encouraged Black women to make fitness and healthy living a priority. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 80 percent of Black women are overweight. BGR! focuses on programming, resources and community built around running with the goal of lowering that percentage.
In 2021, BGR!, Fleet Feet and Saucony partnered on the Share the Run virtual challenge, which resulted in more than $26,000 for the Black Girls RUN! Foundation. Fleet Feet and BGR! also worked together to create more local connections between BGR! Chapters and Fleet Feet stores. One example of an amazing local partnership at play included Fleet Feet Chicago hosting the Black Girls RUN! Chicago chapter's 10 Year Anniversary 5K and 10K. Finally, Fleet Feet and BGR! collaborated on content in an effort to highlight new voices, experiences and create more representation in our storytelling.
Additionally, BGR! spent 2021 growing their reach and empowering more women. Their achievements include:
- Increased membership by 50K
- Increased IG following by over 5K
- Increased FB following by over 7K
- Hosted two RRCA Run Coach classes for 75 BGR! Ambassadors and Run Coordinators
- Launched BGR! U Training program
- Graduated 300 women in two cohorts through the BGR! U Training program
- Hosted the second annual eRace Racism Virtual Challenge
- Began national partnership with Kellogg
- Began national partnership with Nathan
- Began national partnership with Ultima Health
- Featured on Good Morning America, Live with Kelly and Ryan and Runner's World
- Received $2.5K grant from Caress and $10K grant from Neutrogena