Since 2009, Black Girls RUN! (BGR!) has encouraged Black women to make fitness and healthy living a priority. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 80 percent of Black women are overweight. BGR! focuses on programming, resources and community built around running with the goal of lowering that percentage.
2020 was a unique year, but that didn't stop BGR! from continuing their movement in the communities they serve.
- Increased membership by nearly 30 percent
- Started BGR! groups in two new cities (El Paso, TX and Omaha, NE)
- Hosted their first RRCA run coach certification training
- Provided virtual challenges locally to keep women safe and engaged
- Hosted four national virtual challenges to engage runners beyond local BGR! communities
- Raised over $40K through virtual challenges to support local initiatives with the BGR! Foundation
- Partnered with Fleet Feet to foster and develop relationships between 75 BGR! chapters and 180 Fleet Feet stores