April 6th is National Walk to Work Day.
If you have a long commute (or no commute), it doesn't mean you can't reap the benefits that daily walking provides. After all, a raft of research proves why walking every day is beneficial for your health:
1. Walking will make you happier. Have a hard conversation on the horizon, worried about a big deadline, or, just have a severe case of the Mondays? If so, it’s a good time to head out for a stroll. According to a 2016 study, walking is directly correlated with enhanced mood, even if we start the walk feeling negative or expecting less than happy results.
2. Walking will help you live longer. It’s scary but true; we spend up to 90 percent of our work day sitting (for many, that number might be even higher when averaged with time spent at home in front of the TV). Walking is just what we need to live longer, healthier, more robust lives.
3. Walking helps to prevent injury. Walking before more intense exercise (like running) warms up your muscles and improves moving efficiency which, in turn, helps to keep injuries at bay. What’s more, it’s a good way to reduce heart strain by slowly increasing your heart rate.
4. Walking makes you more creative. But it’s mostly concentrated in a short period following your walk. So, if you have a big project to tackle, jump-start the project by heading out for a stroll.
Convinced to lace up before work or during a break, but don’t know where to start? Here are some simple tips for incorporating extra steps into your work day:
- Take your meetings on the go. Joey Pointer, Fleet Feet’s CEO, schedules them daily. "Our company manifesto says we want to bring a nation to its feet. So, it seems appropriate that we should be moving,” says Pointer. The tactic doesn’t just get people moving, though. According to Pointer, folks are often less nervous during walking meetings. This leads to more organic, relaxed, and creative conversations.
- Walk to lunch. Consider walking to a nearby restaurant or, better yet, bringing your lunch and walking to a park to eat. If nothing else, scheduling a reason and destination for your walk will make it easier to get out the door.
- Add it to your calendar. Have a hard time making time for yourself during a busy workday? Then create an appointment and an alarm on your calendar to encourage you to get up and go. Co-schedule with a friend or colleague for extra motivation.
- Wear comfortable footwear you enjoy walking in. There’s nothing worse than blisters and aching feet mid-walk. It’s essential to wear shoes that feel good on the move.
OK, if we haven’t enticed you enough with a few of the benefits of walking and a list of tips to make it easier, to celebrate Walk to Work Day, we’ve also created a contest for bonus motivation. For the deets:
Fleet Feet and Superfeet are on the lookout for some Walk to Work enthusiasts with a knack for social media! Participants are eligible to win some awesome prizes!
How to enter:
- Post your Walk to Work photo on Facebook or Instagram. To be eligible to win, the post must include: #WalktoWork @FleetFeetSports, @Superfeet
Each category winner will receive a pair of Superfeet premium insoles (maximum $60 value)! Categories include:
- Largest group - who can fit the most people into a single Walk to Work shot? The person who posts the picture is eligible to win!
- Furthest distance - share your Walk to Work photo and include your mileage tracker so we can see how far you walked (or ran) to work
- Best outfit - post a photo of your most fabulous Walk to Work outfit
- Most likes - what it says! The Walk to Work photo with the most likes at 4 p.m. on April 6 wins!
- Most scenic - for this category, we want to see some stunning scenery in your Walk to Work post. The most epic photo wins!
Grand Prize Winner:
- We will choose one grand prize winner whose photo we feel truly captures the spirit of Walk to Work Day. It should promote wellness, and it should be fun! Bonus points if you include a Superfeet insoles or footwear in the shot!
- The Grand Prize winner receives a pair of Superfeet Footwear (maximum $150 value)!
Rules & Regulations:
- Entries must be posted (include #WalktoWork, @FleetFeetSports, @Superfeet) between April 2 - April 6 by 3 p.m. (winners picked by 4 p.m.)!
- Post entries are not limited to walk to work shots and can also include walks during a lunch break or after work
- Run to Work shots are also eligible to win - this is Fleet Feet!
This week only: FREE shipping on all Superfeet products.