3. Recovery Jello
High-quality, grass-fed gelatin is an excellent source of bioavailable protein. Studies show gelatin promotes joint health, digestion and can help maintain healthy bones. Mix it with a hydration drink for a quick burst of electrolytes or a recovery drink for after your run. Go for a jiggly recovery treat or a new way to enjoy your energy drink without the additives that come from the boxed dessert.
- ¼ cup cool water
- 1 TBSP high quality gelatin
- ¼ cup boiled water
- 1½ cups water mixed with a GU hydration tab or GU Roctane Energy drink.
Have all ingredients ready ahead of time, as the gelatin will thicken and gel quickly.
- Put mix hydration tab or packet in 1 ½ cups of water and let it dissolve completely
- Pour the cool water in a medium size mixing bowl and add the gelatin powder
- Stir briskly until mixed. It will start to thicken
- Add ¼ cup of hot water, and stir to mix. It should be thinner now
- Add the hydration drink mixture and stir well
- Put in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Cut into cubes or shapes and eat!
4. Cherry Limeade Hydration Slushy
Nuun is delicious alone, but slush it up with some ice, add extra fruit, and you’ve got a fancy, hydrating slushy!
- 3-4 cups crushed ice
- 1 cherry limeade Nuun tablet
- 16 oz. water
- 1 sprig of mint
- Juice of ½ a lime
- A couple of cherries
Dissolve the Nuun tablet in the water. In a blender, combine the ice and the Nuun water. Pour into a tall glass, and garnish with the mint and cherries. Enjoy!
By Kate Schwartz. Schwartz has been running competitively for 20 years, and she currently runs with the Asheville Running Collective. She lives in Asheville, NC, with her husband, Alex, and their cat, Clementine.