In this video, Ashley leads you through a 10-minute core workout that you can do at home. All you need is a comfortable surface and enough space to move.
Perform each exercise for 40 seconds, followed by 20 seconds of rest.
1. Plank Walk-ups
- Begin in high plank position with wrists under your shoulders and a flat back.
- Lower to your forearms, then push back up into a full plank. Continue this motion, and alternate which arm leads the motion. Keep your gaze slightly in front of your hands.
- Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Keep arms at your side with palms down.
- Slowly lift your hips off the ground until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line. Pause at the top to activate your glutes.
- Keep your head relaxed on the ground and don’t crane your neck.
3. Bird Dog
- Start on all fours, hands directly under your shoulders and knees directly under hips.
- Lift and extend your opposite arm and leg while keeping your back and pelvis stable.
- Hold for a beat at the top of each extension to activate your core.
- Alternate sides after each movement.
4. Bicycle Crunches
- Lie on the floor with your lower back pressed down and hands behind your head with elbows out to the side.
- Engage your abs, lift your head, and leading with the shoulder, bring your right elbow to meet your left knee as you point and extend your right leg.
- Continually alternate sides.
5. Plank + Knee to Elbow
- Starting in a full plank position, engage your abs, lift your left knee, and bring it forward toward your left elbow.
- Bring it back to the starting position and do the same on the right side, bringing right knee to right elbow.
- To mix things up and make the movement more dynamic, you can move into a downward dog position after each movement.
6. Right Side Plank with a Twist
- Get into a side plank position, with feet stacked together and your right forearm directly below your shoulder.
- Extend the left arm directly above your head.
- Lower the left arm and rotate your core to move your hand into the space between your side and the ground.
- Let your gaze follow your hand as you move.
- Continue for 40 seconds.
7. Left Side Plank with a Twist
- Complete the same exercise, this time with the left forearm down and right arm extended.
8. Windshield Wipers
- Lay flat on your back with arms extended out beside you and legs in the air.
- Keeping feet together and legs straight, rotate your hips to move feet slowly from left to right from the hand back again.
- Keep your lower back on the ground. If this feels too hard, bend your knees more.
9. Double Crunches
- Lie on your back with legs extended and arms overhead.
- Contracting your abs, bend your knees and drive them toward your chest.
- At the same time, slowly curl your upper body to touch your chest to your knees.
- Return to the start position, raising arms overhead as you go.
10. Leg lifts
- Lie on your back with legs extended in the air above you, perpendicular to the ground.
- With arms on the ground for balance, use your lower abs to lift your butt just off the ground.
- Use slow, small, deliberate motions. The less you can drive your legs toward your head, the better.