Best Running Water Bottles 2023
Buyer's Guide | Fleet Feet
Running, particularly in the heat, can leave you dehydrated. It is nice to have water or an electrolyte drink available during your workout, but it isn’t easy to carry a traditional bottle on you while running. Handheld water bottles are made so that you do not have to grip them while you run. They are also ergonomically designed so that they fit into your hand seamlessly as you put in the miles.
There are a number of factors to look at when you are choosing the perfect handheld water bottle for your running.
1. Capacity. How much water do you need to carry? One way to know how much water that you need is to determine your sweat rate, so you can hydrate smarter. If you are planning to run a half marathon or marathon, you will need more water when training than someone who is training for a 5K. If you typically run somewhere that has water fountains or places where you can refill your bottle, you might not need or want a large water bottle. Also if you live in a warmer climate, you may need more water than someone living in an area with more temperate summers.
2. Type of Flask. There are different types of water bottle flasks. There are both hard or soft flasks. The benefits of a hard flask is that it is firmer in your hand and less likely to squirt out. With the soft flasks, you don’t hear any water sloshing. There are also insulated and non-insulated flasks. The insulated will keep your liquid cooler in the hot summer months and protect your hands from getting cold during the winter months, but they are typically more expensive.
3. Extra Storage. The last thing to consider is extra storage on your water bottle. Some have pockets that can fit keys, gels, inhalers or even phones.
Did you know studies have shown how sweating can be good for your health? You just need to stay hydrated. Don’t let the heat prevent you from running outside this summer, check out our list of tips for running safely in the heat and pick up one of the best handheld water bottles for running and go have fun!
- Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated
- Amphipod FreeForm Handheld
- Amphipod Hydraform Handheld Ergo-Lite
- Nathan ExoShot 2.0 14 oz Handheld
- Nathan SpeedShot Plus Handheld
Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated
The Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated water bottle will keep your water ice cold with its double-walled insulated flask. Plus, it has 360-degrees of reflectivity to help drivers see you at night. The grip-free, fully-adjustable design of this bottle will fit perfectly in your hands whether you’re running, jogging or walking. It also has a large, expandable, zippered pocket so you can carry all of your essentials.
- Water Capacity: 18oz
- Insulated: Yes
- Storage: Yes, a large, expandable, zippered pocket can carry keys, wallet, nutrition and other running essentials
Amphipod FreeForm Handheld 17oz
The Amphipod FreeFoam Handheld water bottle is the perfect minimalist water bottle. There is a durable, adjustable webbing hand strap that creates a secure comfortable fit. Plus, this bottle also works in numerous hydration vests for those really long runs.
- Water Capacity: 17oz
- Insulated: No
- Storage: No
Amphipod Hydraform Handheld Ergo-Lite - 16oz
Enjoy a comfortable, ergonomic water bottle with the Amphipod Hydrafoam Handheld Ergo-Lite. The insulation sleeve will keep your liquids cold, but not your hands. It easily adjusts to fit any size hand and has low profile storage to fit your gels, keys, inhaler or other essentials.
- Water Capacity: 16oz
- Insulated: Yes
- Storage: Yes, low profile storage in the handle that can fit nutrition, keys or an inhaler.
Nathan ExoShot 2.0 14oz Handheld
Hearing your water splash around in your running water bottle is a thing of the past with the Nathan ExoShot 2.0 handheld water bottle. This bottle contains a soft flask that collapses as you drink it and is supported by the rigid ExoSpine™ for a better hand feel. The breathable, ergonomic hand-strap provides grip-free comfort that helps maximize running efficiency and has a small stash pocket for gels or a key. Plus, the soft flask can be removed from the sleeve to use in Nathan hydration vest pockets.
- Water Capacity: 14oz
- Insulated: No
- Storage: Yes, small pocket that can fit a key and/or gel.
Nathan SpeedShot Plus Handheld
Perfect for short to mid-distance runs, the Nathan SpeedShot Plus Handheld has everything you need to stay hydrated. This water bottle features an ergo flask with a chafe-free hand strap so you don’t need to grip it. Plus, there is a zippered pocket for ample storage on your run.
- Water Capacity: 12oz
- Insulated: No
- Storage: Yes, a large, expandable, zippered pocket that can carry keys, wallet, nutrition and other running essentials
How We Picked the Best Running Water Bottles
With over 45 years of experience, Fleet Feet is the expert in running. What makes the perfect water bottle for a runner comes down to the personal experience, goals, preferences and style of that runner. At Fleet Feet, we have been helping runners pick out the right gear for decades and want to pass that knowledge onto you.
We use a combination of real-life use, quality of materials, seasonal trends and our own top-seller lists to pick out the best water bottles. With all that in mind, we picked gear that lived up to our personal (and professional) expectations and we think they will live up to yours as well.
Standing Behind Our Picks
We picked the best water bottles based on what we think will work for the most people in the most situations. If you buy any gear from us and you don’t love the way it looks, fits or performs, bring them back within 60 days for a full refund.
Plus, we offer free shipping on all orders over $99 on fleetfeet.com, and we’ll match a lower price from a qualifying retailer. That’s our Happy Fit Guarantee.